Warnings when loading MARC records from a file

Perry O

Feb 23, 2010, 11:58:48 AM2/23/10
to Scriblio
I just installed Scriblio 2.7 and I'm trying to import MARC records
from a file. The instructions I've found are based on Scriblio 2.3
and seem to indicate that there is a way to do that in the Scriblio
settings, but the screenshots don't match my system. I found a plugin
on the WordPress site that says it will upload the records from a
file, but when I use it, I get Warnings on every record about invalid
record length. Then when I check for the records there is only one
title loaded. Has anybody else experienced this and know a way around
it? Thanks.

Casey Bisson

Feb 24, 2010, 7:13:27 AM2/24/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com

It sounds like you already found the correct connector:

Because of a bug in the PHP-MARC library, it emits that warning for every record.

You're probably experiencing another problem, however. The connector requires that you identify some element in the MARC record that uniquely identifies it (see the "The field to use as source ID" option). Repeating records with the same data in that field are treated as the same record. If you choose "none" it _should_ disable that record matching feature (which means that repeated uploads of the same records can result in duplicate records).

Please tell me how it works out.

--Casey

Ross Singer

Feb 25, 2010, 1:12:03 AM2/25/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com
I, recently, had the exact same problem when trying to load the
records from: http://www.archive.org/details/marc_cca into Scriblio
using this method.

Actually, I would have one of two scenarios: this one, or one where
it pages through umpteen-hundred records as a <ol> (with no titles in
the <li> tags) and then add one record.

I set the field to use as source ID to 001 (which, given that it's not
my dataset, *may* not be 100% unique, but was more than 1 value, since
I'm setting the 001 on several hundred records manually).

-Ross.

Casey Bisson

Mar 1, 2010, 1:56:52 AM3/1/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com

Ross, not sure if you saw it in the last message, but if you select
"none" as the source id, it should import all records (or try to,
anyway). However, it may also import duplicates if you run the same
file through twice.

That last bit is less of an issue when the records have recognized
standard numbers (isbn, lccn, others), as Scrib will merge records
with matching numbers.

Sent from my iPhone

Ross Singer

Mar 1, 2010, 9:50:55 AM3/1/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that's good to know, I'll try that and let you know how it went.

That being said, however, how would Scriblio keep up with updated MARC records?

Thanks,
-Ross.

Casey Bisson

Mar 1, 2010, 10:23:50 PM3/1/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com

Scenario: you've got an ILS that can export Marc files, but no other
connector to Scriblio. Repeated file imports can be used to maintain
the catalog. This might be useful for a small library with an ils on
their local-only network.

The III connector can detect records deleted from the ils. The Marc
connector could (with a small bit of coding) be set to expire records
that haven't been updated recently.

Sent from my iPhone

Perry Otis

Mar 2, 2010, 3:29:23 PM3/2/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com

Haven't checked this email for  while.  Thanks to everyone for their responses.