Issue with "Card Type" on a New Source

rchristen

Oct 22, 2007, 11:32:01 AM10/22/07
to Scribe Researcher
Hello,

I've been having difficulties with inputing a "card type" whenever I
want to draft a new source. This appears to happen ever so often, and
sometimes if I restart my computer, it will act normally. This time, a
restart isn't working. I can't enter the bibliography info for a Book
into a new source, because it's stuck on the "card type" for a Journal
(and, thus, has the lay out to enter the Bibliography info for a
Journal). The Book and Journal headers overlap on the screen, making
the card type area look weird and glitchy. This is also happening to
my other sources, whereby the Book title and Book "card type" are
being overlapped by the word "journal."

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Elena Razlogova

Oct 22, 2007, 11:32:54 AM10/22/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
What is your operating system?
Thanks,
Elena

rchristen

Oct 22, 2007, 2:49:56 PM10/22/07
to Scribe Researcher
Hi, thank you,

I'm running a Compaq PC laptop that had Windows XP.

I've also encountered a sort of crisis with Scribe in the last hour...
I can no longer get into the program (it won't open on its own), and
the program is now "unreadable" (in that, I have to open it in program
of my choice, and then all I see is HTML code)... I have a
considerable portion of my thesis notes in Scribe, and am sort of
panicking because now I can't access them.. any suggestions? Is it
possible to somehow save my notes?

Thanks again,

Renata

> > Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

rchristen

Oct 22, 2007, 5:47:12 PM10/22/07
to Scribe Researcher
Hi again,
Here's the Latest:

The program seemed to get uninstalled, so I reinstalled the program.
When I tried to import the old data, not all the data (in fact, only
one source) appeared. I tried to import old data, where upon it said,
"Move the old data into the Scribe 3 folder," and when I did this, it
would still give me the same message. Furthermore, it says, "rename
the folder when putting it in Scribe," and when I go to rename it, a
window pops up that says "Files Might become corrupted" (if I were to
rename it). I don't want to take the risk, seeing as how that's the
only back up information I have.

This software is totally flawed and should either a) come with a
warning that it could potentially disappear on you or b) not be
available until all the bugs are fixed from it. I really wish the
program worked, but have now lost a whole month of my studies (which I
ignorantly did not back up onto Word, because I thought I could trust
Scribe). If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Mies

Oct 22, 2007, 6:00:50 PM10/22/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
First by no means am I an expert with this stuff, granted it is a long
shot but you could try this. If you could locate the scribe3.fp7 file,
which is in the Scribe folder it might be possible to copy that folder
and move it into another installation of scribe. Of course that is
assuming that your core data is fine. But again I'm not expert this
sounds like something that Elena needs to look through.

mies

miesmart.vcf

Elena Razlogova

Oct 22, 2007, 6:04:34 PM10/22/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
>> rchristen--

Well, most likely the problem is not Scribe but with the way you're
using it, or bugs in your Windows installation.

You should email me the Scribe3.fp7 file at elena.r...@gmail.com
and I'll see what I can do. I would like to point out, however, that
insulting the programmer is not the best way to get your data back.

Best,
Elena

James Tobin

Oct 22, 2007, 9:22:32 PM10/22/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear Elena:

I -- with many others, I'm sure -- would send you flowers and
chocolates for all your work on Scribe.

JT

Message has been deleted

MTBradley

Nov 6, 2007, 9:10:16 AM11/6/07
to Scribe Researcher
This happened to me before, I think. I use OS X as my operating
system, and if I remember correctly the issue was with the plug-in.
Elena updated it (the plug-in) in August, have you downloaded a
version of Scribe since then?

-Matthew

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "pruneauc...@gmail.com" <pruneauc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I also have an issue with New Sources. I can't enter any in fact now.
> I have Vista and imported all my previous data correctly and
> everything is allright except that I can't enter new sources. When I
> press on the button, the card's structure is stuck on Interview...
>
> C.

> On 22 oct, 20:22, James Tobin <tobi...@muohio.edu> wrote:
>
> > Dear Elena:
>
> > I -- with many others, I'm sure -- would send you flowers and
> > chocolates for all your work on Scribe.
>
> > JT

> > > Well, most likely the problem is not Scribe but with the way you're
> > > using it, or bugs in your Windows installation.
>

> > > You should email me the Scribe3.fp7 file at elena.razlog...@gmail.com

Elena Razlogova

Nov 6, 2007, 9:19:27 AM11/6/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
vista is actually different than os x--i need to add the recent
filemaker vista updater to scribe and reupload. i will post on this
list when it's done and vista users will be able to upgrade then. elena

Chris Beneke

Dec 6, 2007, 3:12:49 PM12/6/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
I just received a new laptop running Windows XP with Filemaker 8.5 and am having the same problem with the Keyword Field.  I typed in "Popular Education," hit the enter key and the term didn't drop down.  Instead, it changed to ?Popular Education.  When I deleted it and typed in "Diffusion" that word was laid on top of ?Popular Education.

I have downloaded the Filemaker plug-in.

Can anyone help me?  Elena?

Thanks very much,
Chris

era

Dec 6, 2007, 3:26:08 PM12/6/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com

Én magyar vagyok

Nem beszélek angolul

Deuts??

Chris Beneke

Dec 7, 2007, 10:09:09 AM12/7/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Might this problem be fixed if I simply ran the standalone version of
Scribe without Filemaker 8.5 installed?

Chris Beneke

Dec 7, 2007, 1:52:19 PM12/7/07
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
The answer to my own question is "yes."  Removing Filemaker 8.5 appears to fix the problem.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I also just upgraded from Scribe 3.2 to Scribe 3.4, so perhaps there are some incompatibility issues between Filemaker and the latest version of Scribe(?) I did download the plug-in.