Error message on import from Scribe 3.4

fmwo...@suddenlink.net

Jan 12, 2008, 5:31:36 PM1/12/08
to Scribe Researcher
Error message says no translator could be found for the given file.

I saw three posts last fall but no posted solution.

Has anyone solved this yet?

Thanks.

Elena Razlogova

Jan 12, 2008, 8:47:28 PM1/12/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
In each case, the reason had been different. Please email the rdf file
to elena.r...@gmail.com--I'll take a look and will let you know
what's the problem.
best,
elena

Elena Razlogova

Jan 12, 2008, 8:49:57 PM1/12/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
In each case, the reason had been different. Please email the rdf file
to elena.r...@gmail.com -- I'll take a look and will let you know
the problem.
best,
elena

Frederic M. Wolfram

Jan 12, 2008, 11:59:18 PM1/12/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
The rdf file is 178 MB. I will try to export just a few records to an
rdf export file and import into Zotero. If I get the same error
message, I will email you the file.

Thanks.

Elena Razlogova

Jan 13, 2008, 4:12:24 AM1/13/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
178mb is not a problem for gmail--feel free to email it to me. elena

Elena Razlogova

Jan 13, 2008, 4:24:25 AM1/13/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
usually import to Zotero fails because there are incomplete or bogus
entries in scribe.

two possible reasons why import may fail (both will be fixed in the
next update):

1, you have a newspaper article entry with no newspaper title
2. you have an attachment card with no file attached (this is fixed on
a mac already)

temporary solution--enter something in the newspaper field and delete
the bogus attachment card.

because it's difficult to account for all inconsistencies & errors in
entry, i need users' rdf files to figure out individual problems.
these will be fixed in future releases, but i do need to troubleshoot
other people's files to figure out what's wrong.

best,
elena

Tom Generous

Jan 13, 2008, 6:46:32 AM1/13/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Please remove my email address from you mailing list.

Thank you.

elena.r...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2008, 7:39:34 AM1/24/08
to Scribe Researcher
Export to Zotero from Scribe 3.4 throws an error on import if you have
empty or incorrectly formatted records (for example, if you have any
file cards with no files attached). This bug is fixed in 3.5, now
available for Mac at http://chnm.gmu.edu/tools/scribe/ The 3.5 version
will be available for Windows this afternoon. Just download the new
version, import your records from a previous version of Scribe, and
try exporting again. If you use Windows, try to download the new
version late this afternoon--make sure to check that it's 3.5 and not
3.4.

Elena

Morgan, Elizabeth Ann

Jan 26, 2008, 10:13:49 PM1/26/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
The 3.5 version
> will be available for Windows this afternoon. Just download the new
> version, import your records from a previous version of Scribe, and
> try exporting again. If you use Windows, try to download the new
> version late this afternoon--make sure to check that it's 3.5 and not
> 3.4.

Elena,

It is Saturday night and when I attempt to download 3.5 I continue to get
3.4 I've been trying since Friday. Is the windows version ready? Do
I need something I do not have to download it? (Filemaker 8.5 vs 8.0?)

Elizabeth

Elena Razlogova

Jan 29, 2008, 5:21:23 PM1/29/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry--I'm still trying to make Scribe work on Vista. I will send an
email to the list when 3.5 for Windows (both XP and Vista) is available.
Best,
Elena

Morgan, Elizabeth Ann

Jan 29, 2008, 5:24:47 PM1/29/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I'm just glad it wasn't something bizarre I did. Good luck.

Elizabeth

Elena Razlogova

Feb 6, 2008, 1:00:21 PM2/6/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
3.5 for Windows is now up--let me know if there are any problems. Elena

Frederic M. Wolfram

Feb 23, 2008, 12:58:53 PM2/23/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
Just tried to send rdf file and got "mailbox over quota" error.

Elena Razlogova

Feb 24, 2008, 6:57:55 PM2/24/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
did you send to the address below or to the list address?

Frederic M. Wolfram

Mar 1, 2008, 8:52:05 AM3/1/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
I sent it to the listserv address. I will try again with the other address.

Frederic M. Wolfram

Mar 1, 2008, 10:36:09 AM3/1/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
I just tried sending file to gmail address and it bounced again. I can
try to send it by YouSendIt if that would help.

Thanks.

Elena Razlogova

Mar 1, 2008, 10:39:42 AM3/1/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com

Frederic,
Please first download the latest version of Scribe 3, import your
records, and try exporting to Zotero again--your problem may have been
fixed. If that doesn't work, please send it via YouSendIt.
Thanks,
Elena

Elena Razlogova

Mar 3, 2008, 10:34:16 AM3/3/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com

Frederic--
Your export contained control characters that are invalid in XML
files--I sent you the link to the cleaned-up file privately.

One solution to this problem is to use Zap Gremlins feature in BBedit
after export. There may be other text editors that delete XML-invalid
control characters.

Best,
Elena

Frederic M. Wolfram

Mar 8, 2008, 10:31:59 AM3/8/08
to scribe-r...@googlegroups.com
I use several Greek fonts and at least one Hebrew font in some of my
note cards, which may account for the errors.

Thanks for the help.