Seco Rocks!

Jack Park

Jun 25, 2011, 7:02:25 PM6/25/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
My comments thus far have been about bugs I found. I should say something nice:

Running Seco is being a lot of fun. Steep learning curve, even though
some 20 years ago, I spent a lot of time with Mathematica notebooks.
I'm looking forward to learning how to extend Seco.

Jack

Konstantin vandev

Jun 26, 2011, 12:44:21 PM6/26/11
to Seco
Nice to hear that you found some interesting stuff in Seco. If you
have some questions about extending/changing Seco functionality,
don't hesitate to ask - we will be glad to help you.

Jack Park

Jun 26, 2011, 3:36:03 PM6/26/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
I really am enjoying exploring Seco. Learn something new every day,
and see lots of exceptions tossed in the console.

Consider this: notebooks can be documents of interest, as in topics.
There might be relations that exist between notebooks. The extreme
case of that would be that each notebook IS a topic (think: a
Wikipedia page) with arrows drawn among the notebooks. I'm just
guessing that the piccolo canvas might let you draw lines and turn a
niche into a knowledge base.

If that is the case, then a valuable scripting engine to add would be
that of Common Logic Controlled English: type sentences in pigeon
English into one notebook's input cell and hit eval. The output cell
would be a collection of links to (or a single link to) the topic
(notebook) either created or updated by what was typed.

If that's not enough, then consider a query interpreter that reaches
out to a larger "knowledge garden" and brings into that niche results
found from queries in that garden.

That's just a hint at what I expect to explore. To make that so, I
started a word document in which I am documenting the algorithms at
play in Seco. I started with the boot process and with creation of a
new notebook. I'll have plenty of questions about that later.

Konstantin Vandev

Jun 27, 2011, 1:20:57 AM6/27/11
to Seco
All of the described above sounds very interesting and certainly is
doable in by Seco means. We'll try to provide with all possible help.

Borislav Iordanov

Jun 28, 2011, 1:23:15 PM6/28/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Jack Park <jack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really am enjoying exploring Seco. Learn something new every day,
> and see lots of exceptions tossed in the console.

Please pass them on. Some of them may be "normal", but some not. We
haven't tested Seco in so many different configurations.

> Consider this: notebooks can be documents of interest, as in topics.
> There might be relations that exist between notebooks. The extreme
> case of that would be that each notebook IS a topic (think: a
> Wikipedia page) with arrows drawn among the notebooks.  I'm just
> guessing that the piccolo canvas might let you draw lines and turn a
> niche into a knowledge base.

Yes, sure. Since all data is represented in HGDB, one can come up with
all sorts of relations between entities and visualize etc. The piccolo
canvas can be used to visualize graphs, perhaps there's even a library
for it.

> If that is the case, then a valuable scripting engine to add would be
> that of Common Logic Controlled English: type sentences in pigeon
> English into one notebook's input cell and hit eval. The output cell
> would be a collection of links to (or a single link to) the topic
> (notebook) either created or updated by what was typed.

That's a pretty cool idea. But the creation of a valuable knowledge
base would require some significant crowdsourcing effort. The
foundation for that is pretty much there, but it doesn't look for
"sexy" at this point and there's not much manpower to work at it. A
relative idea is to combine this effort with some nlp parsing of
wikipedia and generate an initial formal base for question answer, but
one that can be enhaced using common logic&controlled English.

> If that's not enough, then consider a query interpreter that reaches
> out to a larger "knowledge garden" and brings into that niche results
> found from queries in that garden.
>
> That's just a hint at what I expect to explore. To make that so, I
> started a word document in which I am documenting the algorithms at
> play in Seco. I started with the boot process and with creation of a
> new notebook. I'll have plenty of questions about that later.

Sure, please don't hesitate to post any questions regarding the code!
Any suggestions are also welcome....it would be nice to have some
fresh feedback.

Cheers,
Boris

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Konstantin vandev
> <konstant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice to hear that you found some interesting stuff in Seco. If you
>> have some questions about extending/changing Seco functionality,
>> don't hesitate to ask - we will be glad to help you.
>>
>> On Jun 26, 2:02 am, Jack Park <jackp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My comments thus far have been about bugs I found. I should say something nice:
>>>
>>> Running Seco is being a lot of fun. Steep learning curve, even though
>>> some 20 years ago, I spent a lot of time with Mathematica notebooks.
>>> I'm looking forward to learning how to extend Seco.
>>>
>>> Jack
>>
>> --
>>

> --

http://www.kobrix.com - HGDB graph database, Java Scripting IDE, NLP
http://kobrix.blogspot.com - news and rants

"Frozen brains tell no tales."

-- Buckethead

Jack Park

Jun 28, 2011, 2:32:21 PM6/28/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris,
I should probably change the subject line since I'm raising a
philosophical question that's different from this thread, but related.
This is a curiosity question, not a criticism.

I notice that Seco spends a lot of time installing the entire
application metadata and its gui features in HGDB. This seems really
cool and ultimately quite appealing for some dimensions of interest.

In other dimensions, perhaps those satisfied by the Eclipse plugin
(haven't spent any time with that, but it's clearly of interest to
me), the idea of persisting just the data (notebooks without gui
features) is desirable, and (naively) perhaps simpler in terms of code
complexity.

Do you have any comments on that?

Many thanks
Jack

Borislav Iordanov

Jun 29, 2011, 4:50:46 AM6/29/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Konstantin (a.k.a. Bizi) is better able to answer how hard that would
be. I believe it spends a lot of time because it generates bytecode to
represent HGDB types for a lot of swing components. But once those
types are generated, if there are no new GUI components created with
scripts, it's just saving the notebooks.

What's the benefit of NOT saving the GUI in the context of Eclipse?

Cheers,
Boris

Konstantin Vandev

Jun 30, 2011, 3:05:03 AM6/30/11
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time on startup is spent for indexing classes and packages in lib jars including JDK ones. The big work is done in a low priority thread and shouldn't bother the user. But having this stuff indexed and stored in a HG graph allows Seco to provide user with package completion, fully qualified class names, etc. Storing of the Swing components is pretty fast (maybe too verbose in console) and have no relation with the data(notebooks without gui features).
Best Regards, Konstantin