Can't turn off icon in notification bar.

Rhonda Thomas

Jan 15, 2014, 6:09:03 PM1/15/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com
I unchecked the box for "Display Notification" to turn off the annoying icon on the notification bar, but it won't go away.  The only way it will disappear is if I uncheck the box to enable screeble Lite itself.  This feature was not available before the update on 01/14/14 and it doesn't seem to work on my HTC EVO V.

James Lightfoot

Feb 7, 2014, 1:44:11 PM2/7/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Same problem, have had to stop using the app until this is fixed. Very annoying.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

LD James

Apr 6, 2014, 11:50:11 AM4/6/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:09:03 PM UTC-5, Rhonda Thomas wrote:
I unchecked the box for "Display Notification" to turn off the annoying icon on the notification bar, but it won't go away.  The only way it will disappear is if I uncheck the box to enable screeble Lite itself.  This feature was not available before the update on 01/14/14 and it doesn't seem to work on my HTC EVO V.

This notification icon bug is a serious problem.  I always try to address the alerts that I have in the notification bar, as something that needs attention.

An app that I have specified to start whenever my Android boots up is expected to be running at all times unless I specifically turn it off.  There's no reason for it to take up valuable notification space is that very small area, telling me it's running.

Also, I would be able to tell it's not running if the configured functionality fails.

I'll have to stop using it until this bug if fix.  I'll also give it 1 start on play store because of the seriousness of the bug.  This is very unfortunate since I have never had an issue with it in the two years that I have been using it.  I have recommended it to many users, some of whom always pay for the pro of all their favorite apps.

When the bug is fixed I'll start using it again and give it a deserved 5 stars.  With the bug, I consider it too much of a distraction to be usable.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
lja...@apollo3.com

Scott Weiner

Apr 6, 2014, 11:50:36 AM4/6/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com

I had to pay for the new version and it’s a bit buggy.  I had to adjust some settings because it was showing black when it was in use…

Matt Hughes

LD James

Apr 7, 2014, 4:06:56 AM4/7/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com
That is not true.  I have used Screebl for over two years and the disable notification icon has always worked.  This bug is associated with the new update.  The previous version didn't have this bug.  It has a feature to turn off the notification icon.  That feature worked in the previous version.  I know it worked because I have always used it.

If this feature weren't available why would the author tease the users by putting the option in the preference.  He wasn't teasing the user.  He placed the option there, but forgot to test it and realize he didn't apply the code associated with the feature.  So the new version has a bug in it.

By the way, I have since uninstalled the new version and installed the "classic" version.  The feature works in the "classic" version.  It has a checkbox option to "Generate Notifications".  If you put a checkmark in the check box you will see a notification in the notification bar.  If you remove the check mark the notification icon would disappear.  This is available with many apps.  There are 10's of services running all the time.  At present for the past 3 hours I have had only one icon (except for the clock area) in my notification bar.  It was a notification that I have email.  I just clicked to check my new email, now that icon is gone.  Again, there are numerous services working including my email program and Screebl classic, there are not icons.  That is because the developer has an option when programming his app, to show a notification in the notification bar or not.  He also has an option to pick how it's displayed or, as I mentioned, not display the icon or not.

I appreciate you trying to give logic and justification for this bug.  But this version of an otherwise extremely useful program is flawed.  It'll deserve 5 stars when this bug is resolved.  Fortunately the "classical" version doesn't have this bug.

JLStanley

Apr 7, 2014, 5:15:41 AM4/7/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com

What Matt Hughes wrote IS true.  Apps that don't display notification icons ARE more likely to be killed by Android memory  management.  That you didn't see a problem before when you were running without the notification icon, doesn't make Matt wrong.  It just means you were lucky that you weren't using enough background apps for it to be a problem.

I just tested the function on my phone and tablet and it worked fine on both.  (I run a ton of background apps so I'd never try to run Screebl in that mode, but I unchecked the box and the icon vanished just fine.)

Note that I'm not saying you are wrong in what you are seeing on your phone.  I'm just saying that you're wrong about David leaving it out of the current version.  I'm guessing that there's some incompatibility with the new version and your phone.

Instead of accusing David of not testing (I know he tests a LOT), give him a clear description of what phone you're using and which version of Android it is running.  He's a pretty nice guy if you give him half a chance and I'm sure he'll figure out what is causing the problem.

   ... John S.

Message has been deleted

LD James

Apr 8, 2014, 5:18:13 AM4/8/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, JLS.

What you're saying really doesn't make much sense.  While I haven't specifically written services per se I have written a number of Android apps.  When writing for Apps the author has the option to choose whether it will allow shutdown or prevent shutdown.  He also has the option to choose whether to have an icon in the notification area, as well as the type of icon.  Those are two different programmable features.

If the author things he needs to place an icon in the notification bar to inform the OS not to close it, I'll look into writing services so that I can advise him how to do it.  However, it's not the author that is saying he can't do it.  It's you saying it can't be done.  I don't know where you got your information from.  I'd appreciate a link to the reference to it.  If this flaw is built into the Android OS, then the flaw would also need to be addressed to the developers of the OS.

But of course, I know the flaw isn't built into the OS because there are always 10's for services running.  However, there isn't room on the notification bar for icons for all the services that are running.

I'll name a few services that I know is running on my Android.  I have 3 mail programs.  I have three configured to place an Icon in the notification bar when I have new mail.  The services continue to run to check for new mail.  Those are important services that needs to be running at all times.  They naturally are configured not to be shut down.  I have three programs that check for text messages.  One this is the default Samsung messenger and the others are third party programs (in this case, gosms pro and mightytext).  None of the three shows an Icon in the message bar unless it has a change.  They always run.  I run a gps tracking service for one of my jobs.  Like Screebl it has an option to show a notification Icon or not while it runs.  It would be detrimental if that service stopped running.  It's configured not to be shut down.

I consider Screebl an important service also.  The formal versions have never shutdown because the author has configured it not to, when you have it selected as enabled.  It will never shut down.  Since the author has been able to do this with the previous versions he can also do it with the updates the same way.

I'm sure the author thinks it working, that is why he included it as a preference option.  I'm sure he appreciates his users reporting this bug so that he can fix it.  I appreciate you information to try to squash this as a flaw of the OS, but this isn't such a case.  The OS isn't flawed, this great application in this case is, and when the users shows interest in the importance of this bug, the author would consider what type of priority to put into fixing it.  If not enough people care about it, the flaw might never be addressed.  If a few people report it, then someone convince them that it's the OS and not a bug in the program, others that care about their Notification real estate might not comment.

I hope developers don't start treating the Android notification area like they thread the icon tray in windows.  Everybody wants to display the icons of their program to boast that it's running.  I hope most of the developers would consider the notification bar as something that needs to be addressed, not something to show every program and service that is installed or running.
Message has been deleted

LD James

Apr 18, 2014, 3:31:22 AM4/18/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com

For anyone following this thread and looking for some relief, this is what I have learned from testing the various versions.  The feature shows the availability in the beta version.  However is says this is a pay feature activated in the pay version.

I have already mentioned that I register (pay for) all my favorite apps.  I strongly believe it giving support to the diligent developers.

My problem with screebl at this time is the lack of support (in this thread) from the developer.  If the developer would chime in and acknowledge that it works in the registered version I would pay immediately.  The application is very much worth this value.

The developer obviously see the value of this feature, otherwise it wouldn't be promoted by the option that advises paying for it to work.

It's obviously (most likely accidentally broken) in the latest free version.  I hope the author will notice this (by this thread), and indicate that it'll be fixed (when he has time) and advise that we can use the registered version for this feature in the meantime.  While it wouldn't be too big of a lost (money wise) if it was also broken in the registered version, the problem would be the aggravation that would arise in paying and not getting support for what is purchased.

The lack of input from the developer in a four month thread of a broken feature is cause for serious concern when it comes to support.

Scott Weiner

Apr 18, 2014, 3:32:51 AM4/18/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com

I bought the Pro version and had to go back to a free version because it was the leading cause of battery drain on my Note 3.

I wrote the developer but no response…

Apr 18, 2014, 5:07:10 PM4/18/14
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, SSHGuru.  I'm glad for your input.  If I didn't already mention it, I wrote the developer some time ago also and never got a response.

I'm glad, as I mentioned, that I didn't register the app because it would be much more frustrating not having support after having paid.

One of the incentives most developers put for registering is for support.  That appears to be missing with this one.

Scott Weiner