S-View Cover

Troy Simpson

Nov 19, 2013, 3:22:23 PM11/19/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to try with beta but I think the behaviour is the same.  If the S-View cover is closed and a notification comes, the screen turns on and screebl activates - in the pocket.  I activated disable screebl for close proximity, but in testing this made no difference when the S-View cover is closed.

So, in summary, screebl causes my phone to run hot and drain the battery to oblivion in my pocket - recently this has happened over the last several days in a row.

David Keyes

Nov 19, 2013, 3:33:45 PM11/19/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Troy.

You're using a Samsung Galaxy S4, with the S-View cover?  The screen stays on only when proximity is enabled, or also when it is not?

I'm not familiar with the S-View cover, my apologies, so I have a few questions.  When a notification arrives, is it displayed in an S-View app of some kind, or widget?

I'm getting ready to release a version of the app that allows users to register certain apps as "screebl exceptions", so that when those apps are running, screebl will pause.  This will allow screebl to work with lock-screen replacements, etc.  This may solve the problem with S-View, but I'll need to do a bit more digging to be sure.

Thanks for the feedback.  Hopefully I'll be able to get this tuned up for you!

dk

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Troy Simpson <ebs...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm going to try with beta but I think the behaviour is the same.  If the S-View cover is closed and a notification comes, the screen turns on and screebl activates - in the pocket.  I activated disable screebl for close proximity, but in testing this made no difference when the S-View cover is closed.

So, in summary, screebl causes my phone to run hot and drain the battery to oblivion in my pocket - recently this has happened over the last several days in a row.

Troy Simpson

Nov 20, 2013, 3:18:34 PM11/20/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply dk, yes, the situation is as follows:

* Samsung Galaxy S4, android 4.3
* Samsung S-View Cover
* Proximity setting doesn't seem to make a difference

I don't think S-View is an app, it is a lock screen mode that displays time and notifications in the little cover window.  I have seen posts where people are having difficulty finding the mode in tasker too, so I don't know how easy it will be to detect this mode.  If you can detect it, then ideally there would be a setting to disable screebl while in S-View mode, it won't be needed in that mode for the most part and will prevent staying on in the pocket (without having to use proximity or pocket settings).

Thanks,

Troy

David Keyes

Nov 20, 2013, 7:20:54 PM11/20/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Troy.  I understand the problem,  and have some ideas on how to deal with it.  My SView cover is on order to test things out.   ;)

Thanks again for the heads up.

dk

David Keyes

Nov 23, 2013, 12:32:33 AM11/23/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Troy.

I think that I've squished this problem in the latest 3.0.24 beta release.  It wasn't easy!  With a bit of debug log diving I discovered some proprietary Samsung Intents that get fired when the cover is opened/closed.  One thing that I found interesting, but totally unrelated, is that the intent includes the COLOR of the cover as data.  Go figure.

Anyway, if you get a chance, let me know if things work as you would expect them to.

BTW, I didn't make a system setting to control this, as I couldn't think of a reason that someone would WANT their screen kept on in S-View.

Thanks for your patience and excellent reporting of the problem.  Made it much easier to figure out.

dk

Troy Simpson

Nov 23, 2013, 2:12:38 AM11/23/13
to scr...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, I updated to the latest beta, and yes, when my phone goes to S-View mode screebl dutifully disables itself.  A setting really isn't necessary for S-View, you're right.  How bizarre that cover colour is a factor... Anyway, excellent, thanks, I appreciate your hard and quick work!  This is probably my fundamentally most useful phone app which I have been happily recommending to others.  Apps with active and responsive developers are at the top of the list of what users want.

Cheers,

Troy