kona 3g?

Josh M

Nov 16, 2021, 12:52:24 PM11/16/21
to SCRATCH forum
Trying to build out a rig. The global supply shortage means all kona cards are unavailable to me right now, till realistically mid-next year.

My option is a kona 1, the short version, and somehow shoehorn it into my system by taking off the bracket.

Or, there are kona 3g's available on ebay for very reasonable prices.

The 3g seems very similar to the 4... what am I missing? I feel like I've gotta be missing something.

Mazze Aderhold

Nov 17, 2021, 6:03:03 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
We did some digging today and found that the Kona 3G is not supported anymore with forthcoming versions of SCRATCH (and our other products).

V9.3 is the last version to support it (using driver version 15.5).
In 9.4 we had to update the AJA SDK in order to support Apple M1 - that SDK however requires
driver v16.1, which in turn does not seem to support the Kona 3G anymore.

So for everybody still hanging on to his Kona 3G - I know it hurts, but it's time to move on.
9.4 is aimed to see the light of day still this year ;-) .

Cheers,
Mazze

> Josh M <joshm...@gmail.com> hat am 16.11.2021 18:52 geschrieben:
> --
> ASSIMILATE homepage - www.assimilateinc.com
> SCRATCH web - www.scratchweb.tv
> Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/assimilateinc
> Twitter - @assimilateinc
> ---

Josh M

Nov 17, 2021, 9:50:10 AM11/17/21
to SCRATCH forum
Ahh,
Thanks for doing that digging Mazze!

Josh

Parke

Nov 17, 2021, 10:12:01 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Excited to hear more about 9.4! Should I temper my expectations for colorist tools??

It feels good that I’ve actually moved on from a piece of hardware before it’s originators put it out to pasture. :)

Our Kona cards are all in the bucket-of-boards along with other expensive paper weights… like Quadros and the life changing Red Rockets, and not so life changing RocketX that I’m still bitter about. ;) Anyone else save their old PCI cards? For some reason I get nostalgic about them.

-Parke

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 5:03 AM, Mazze Aderhold <ma...@colormeup.de> wrote:
>
> We did some digging today and found that the Kona 3G is not supported anymore with forthcoming versions of SCRATCH (and our other products).
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scratch-list/62512256.549960.1637146980597%40communicator.strato.de.

je...@assimilateinc.com

Nov 17, 2021, 10:17:00 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
While 9.4 will have some interesting things, it is a 'mild' update for SCRATCH in general.
A lot done 'under the covers' to get Live FX done that will impact the rest of the product line ahead. And as importantly, will provide some very interesting potentials with regards to workflow from camera/onset thru finishing!

Target to raise your expectations comes in 2022...saying that sounds like a long way off...but it is just around the corner 😊
Jeff
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scratch-list/93BB9041-BA2E-40B9-B928-EEFEA10F0A07%40gmail.com.

Gabo Kerlegand

Nov 17, 2021, 10:42:55 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Great News, I just want to try the LiveFX ASAP!!!

--
Gabo Kerlegand
Digital Consultant & Manager

je...@assimilateinc.com

Nov 17, 2021, 10:45:39 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com

Mazze Aderhold

Nov 17, 2021, 11:09:12 AM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Parke,

I got an old Rocket here too - but it burnt through before it became EOL.
And I think I have some Kona OEM 2Ks somewhere :P .

For the Kona 3G - we actually want to do some more testing to see whether it
can be kept alive for a bit longer. Not sure yet when we'll get to it - but not all hope is lost yet :-) .

For SCRATCH 9.4 - as Jeff said, will be a 'mild' release.
Most of the new stuff really went into Live FX - support for various camera tracking hardware,
DMX lighting control, OpenSoundControl, Unreal Engine Live Link, etc. - all pretty big projects.
And there are also the rather unpleasant side-gigs like Apple M1 compatibility, or keeping up with new camera formats,
that always run along all the fancy new stuff we're working on.
That being said, some things have rippled down to SCRATCH from Live FX.
And we also put quite some effort into SCRATCH-specific enhancements as well.
I can tell more about it the closer we get :-) .

Cheers,
Mazze

> Parke <parke...@gmail.com> hat am 17.11.2021 16:11 geschrieben:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scratch-list/93BB9041-BA2E-40B9-B928-EEFEA10F0A07%40gmail.com.

Parke

Nov 17, 2021, 12:32:49 PM11/17/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear Jeff and Mazze, thanks. The tweaks to the engine to get Live FX to do its magic seem (from an outsider) to be pretty damn amazing. I can imagine there will be some inherent trickle down benefits to the other feature sets and plenty of future opportunities.

So weird 2022 is starting in just over a month.

-Parke