Re: DNG

Mazze

Oct 10, 2021, 1:42:47 PM10/10/21
to Allan Stallard, scratch-list
Hi Allan,

you need to find out what the color space transform does in Resolve.
Michael's email says, it goes *to* Alexa Wide Gamut / ARRI LogC -
but it does not say where it's coming from (i.e. input color space and EOTF).

Once you know that piece of the puzzle (I assume DJI D-Gamut and D-Log),
then yes - this is fully doable in SCRATCH as well :-) .

Only thing to keep in mind eventually is to disable the "Color Matrix"
for all loaded DNG clips in the Media Browser ==> Node tab,
so they all look "log-ish" and do not have a transform to Rec709 on them
(which usually is what the "Color Matrix" does).

Greetz,
Mazze

______________
Mazze Aderhold
Product Design & Worldwide Support

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 17:08, Allan Stallard <al...@animalstudio.com> wrote:
Hello! I got these directions to process a bunch of drone footage in resolve. I was wondering if I can do this all in Scratch. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Allan Stallard

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Chungbin <mwchu...@gmail.com>
Date: October 8, 2021 at 11:34:19 PM EDT
To: Allan Stallard <al...@animalstudio.com>
Subject: Re: DNG

Hi Allan,

Here is a .drx with the color management to convert the dng to LogC/AWG

Make a new project, import the media and follow the steps below.

To bring this into resolve;
  1. On the color page open the "Gallery" tab in the top left.
  2. The right click in a selected album and navigate to import.
  3. Navigate to the .drx file I have included, and open the file
  4. Once the .drx has been imported, with the destination clip selected right click (center mouse click) the imported .drx This will apply the raw configuration as well as the colorspace transform to Arri LogC/AWG.
In terms of Transcode I'd suggest transcoding to Prores 4444 or DNxHR 444 12bit  to maintain the quality of the source media.

This requires the files be dropped into a timeline for transcode. *Make sure the timeline is the same frame rate and resolution as the source media.

To export the transcodes navigate to deliver tab;
  1. Choose the destination
  2. For render on the left side select "individual clips"
  3. Either re-label the clips or in the "file" sub window you can select "source name" to output the transcodes with the original source names.
  4. Select the desired output codec, I'd suggest Prores 4444 (if you can export it. On windows you can't. Otherwise use DNxHR 444 12 bit.)
  5. Choose your output resolution or check the "source resolution" checkbox, and add it to the render queue. Then click render
Let me know if you run into any issues. I think I have some phone service where I'm going.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Chungbin

Contact
B.S. Motion Picture Science RIT '19

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM Allan Stallard <al...@animalstudio.com> wrote:

ANIMAL

color|vfx|finishing

www.animalstudio.com

412.566.5656

Mazze

Oct 11, 2021, 3:15:58 AM10/11/21
to Allan Stallard, scratch-list
PS: Not sure if you knew (many probably missed it ;-) - but we have media defaults now.
Open the project settings and go to the corresponding tab.
In there, switch color matrix for DNG off and enable the check mark next to the button.
Now all DNGs should come in with color matrix disabled already :-) .

Greetz,
Mazze

______________
Mazze Aderhold
Product Design & Worldwide Support

Mazze

Oct 11, 2021, 12:53:09 PM10/11/21
to Allan Stallard, scratch-list
Ah, got it.
Actually I made a mistake with my earlier reply.
Disabling "Color Matrix" really only has an impact on the color space.
If disabled, the DNG will show the native color space of the sensor.
Enabling "Color Matrix" will put it into a "known" color space.

However, since you're a colorist, I guess you are able to choose your starting point according to your liking ;-) .
Both ways have their merits :-) .

Cheers,
Mazze