Scratch - Premiere Pro roundtrip advices

alwes...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 5:55:34 AM11/4/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hi everyone,

I am about to make a batch of dailies for a project that will be edited with Premiere Pro, and (hopefully) graded inside Scratch in Prores Raw (original footage format).
I was wondering if you had any advice regarding the dailies format and Metadata... anything that I shouldn't forget ?

I was about to encode the dailies in Prores 422 with the same name than the original files but should I also add some metadata in other columns in order to get the original footage back in Scratch more easily though xml ?

Thanks in advance !
Alex

PS : I also was quite impress by the release of LiveFX ! Sadly I am not into the virtual production business at all :(
I am also very curious about what could end as a new feature inside Scratch for grading and finishing in the next release :-P
Cheers

Mazze Aderhold

Nov 4, 2021, 8:59:44 AM11/4/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

not sure - I think Premiere does not read much metadata from Quicktime (or anything).
I'm by no means an expert with Premiere though ;-) .
I think you can get metadata across via ALE.
Other than that, I think you should be good with what you outlined below^^.

Wrt Live FX and SCRATCH - yes, some things will certainly ripple down ;-) .

Greetz,
Mazze

> alwes...@gmail.com <alwes...@gmail.com> hat am 04.11.2021 10:55 geschrieben:
> --
> ASSIMILATE homepage - www.assimilateinc.com
> SCRATCH web - www.scratchweb.tv
> Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/assimilateinc
> Twitter - @assimilateinc
> ---

Alexandre Westphal

Nov 4, 2021, 4:36:33 PM11/4/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mazze!
Thanks a lot for your answer !

I'll check this week to go back and forth with an ALE  and let you know if anything goes wrong.

Cheers,
Alex

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SCRATCH forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scratch-list/1358064617.1629305.1636030781398%40communicator.strato.de.

Ariel Ferrer

Nov 4, 2021, 5:14:05 PM11/4/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hi Alex! Check out this XSLT from Martin Vignali https://groups.google.com/g/scratch-list/c/NohHyCrrfIA/m/TQNPejpuAgAJ  it helped me a lot with the Scene and Take metadata in Premiere!!

ariel

Parke

Nov 4, 2021, 5:40:15 PM11/4/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
I’m sure this is obvious, but be sure not to “regenerate” time code on your export node. Pass the native time code to your PR422 files.

-Parke

On Nov 4, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Ariel Ferrer <ariel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Alex! Check out this XSLT from Martin Vignali https://groups.google.com/g/scratch-list/c/NohHyCrrfIA/m/TQNPejpuAgAJ  it helped me a lot with the Scene and Take metadata in Premiere!!

Manuel

Nov 4, 2021, 8:24:41 PM11/4/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hello Ariel.
Forgive my ignorance, but how to use this file, the XSLT file?

Mazze Aderhold

Nov 5, 2021, 7:56:21 AM11/5/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuel,

XSLT files are "translators" so to speak.
They translate an XML (SCRATCH XML) to HTML (or anything else).
We use those XSLT files with the report generator in SCRATCH.
Basically when you choose a report type, you choose the corresponding XSLT file underneath,
which then creates a different looking report, that you can either save as html, or PDF.

Martin now created his own XSLT file, which translates the SCRATCH XML into an FCP-7 XML.
To use it, you just have to place the XSLT file into the Settings folder.
For Windows, that goes into the program folder:
C:\Program Files\Assimilate\Settings

On mac it goes into the defaults folder:
/Library/Application Support/Assimilator/Defaults

If you then start SCRATCH, enter your project and go to Construct tab ==> Tools ==> Reports
it should show up as a report type for you to export.

Any issues that you run into though you will have to sort with Martin ;-) .

Cheers,
Mazze

> Manuel <manuel...@gmail.com> hat am 05.11.2021 01:24 geschrieben:

> --
> ASSIMILATE homepage - www.assimilateinc.com
> SCRATCH web - www.scratchweb.tv
> Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/assimilateinc
> Twitter - @assimilateinc
> ---

Manuel

Nov 5, 2021, 8:45:28 AM11/5/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hi Mazze.

Ok, I will try when is possible, I wait soon ;-)

Thanks very much

Martin Vignali

Nov 5, 2021, 2:13:35 PM11/5/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hello Manuel,

To complete the Mazze's answer :
This XSLT, have been only tested on my side with 24/25fps.
Don't really know if it works or not with 23.98/29.97...

Best,

Martin

Alexandre Westphal

Nov 5, 2021, 2:57:46 PM11/5/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone !

This Xslt stuff looks great. I'll have a look at it.

Regarding Park's message :
I’m sure this is obvious, but be sure not to “regenerate” time code on your export node. Pass the native time code to your PR422 files.

-Parke
it's not obvious at all... Is there an explicit option to preserve or regenerate the TC when doing dailies ? I thought TC would be the same when exporting with to the source name tag....

Cheers,
Alex

Mazze Aderhold

Nov 6, 2021, 5:12:38 AM11/6/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

generally it is - but there is a regenerate option with every output node, which then should just stay disabled / untouched ;-) .

Greetz,
Mazze