Best practices for conforming with multiple video tracks

alwes...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2021, 11:19:06 AM10/10/21
to SCRATCH forum
Hi Scratchers,

I've been color-grading a video clip this week with a lot of fades and stacks of clips on different video tracks. I had to go very fast for conforming the edit and so I ended not doing it inside Scratch because I am still quite afraid with the conforming process when the edit is complex.
Hence, I was wondering if anyone knew some online resource about this with "real world" cases (or complex examples) and not a bunch of clips dropped in a timeline.
Or what would be your advice for this kind of purpose ? Would you prefer AAF, EDL, XML ? One per track or one for all the tracks ?

For example, I was quite surprised that the XML doesn't look the same when dropped in Resolve and in Scratch. See pictures attached. Maybe I did something wrong when I loaded it or maybe I should ask for something specific from editorial team... but what precisely ?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Cheers,
Alex
Scratch detail.png
Resolve detail.png
Resolve full timeline.png
Scratch full timeline.png

Mazze Aderhold

Oct 11, 2021, 3:20:19 AM10/11/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

conforming, especially with XMLs has proved to be a moving target.
Generally, EDL is pretty much rock solid - but also very limited (and requires on EDL per track).
AAF from Avid also works pretty solidly.
From Premiere, I think I'd rather take an XML, than an AAF.
Premiere used to put all sorts of weird stuff into its AAFs - the XMLs used to be slightly more solid.
If you have a smaller setup with just a few clips, XML and reference file - feel free to send that over to support.
Happy to look into it^^.

Best,
Mazze

> alwes...@gmail.com <alwes...@gmail.com> hat am 10.10.2021 17:19 geschrieben:
> --
> ASSIMILATE homepage - www.assimilateinc.com
> SCRATCH web - www.scratchweb.tv
> Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/assimilateinc
> Twitter - @assimilateinc
> ---

alwes...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2021, 4:04:33 PM10/12/21
to SCRATCH forum
Thanks a lot Mazze,
I can't send clips and reference for now, but I've sent the XML to support just in case.

Thanks again,
Alex

Mazze Aderhold

Oct 13, 2021, 6:49:42 AM10/13/21