Reading Prores raw

Alexandre Westphal

Sep 26, 2021, 2:04:04 AM9/26/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Just a quick question as I am working on the shooting of a documentary shot in Prores Raw (4k)

I'd like to watch the footage inside scratch and it is quite laggy (wether the construct is 4k or full HD). The laptop is not a beast but the footage is playing fine in premiere. I'd much prefer Scratch though but I don't know if there is any setting that could increase the playback performance.... Like half res or something like this...

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Matthias Aderhold

Sep 26, 2021, 3:04:23 AM9/26/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

sadly not. It is something on our list, but so far, there wasn‘t really a need to implement sth. like half res debayer, as most GPUs are very well capable of doing it full res.

Maybe send me a profile with a PRR clip loaded to support - just to check if there‘s anything else going on^^.

Greetz,
Mazze

Mazze Aderhold
Freelance Engineer

Am 26.09.2021 um 08:04 schrieb Alexandre Westphal <alwes...@gmail.com>:

--
ASSIMILATE homepage - www.assimilateinc.com
SCRATCH web - www.scratchweb.tv

Pepo Razzari

Sep 26, 2021, 3:43:11 PM9/26/21
to scratc...@googlegroups.com
One possibility is that the drive is not fast enough. When premiere decodes at half res, it only needs to read half the data (or does it read the full data and decode only half? not certain about this).
If data rate was the problem, it would be an easy fix with a raid or ssd.
Also inside scratch, I would check that your scaling algorithm for display is set to linear or something else, and also check if your scopes are set to play in real time, and if so, disable this feature.
Hope any of this helps.
pepo

alwes...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2021, 11:10:11 PM9/27/21
to SCRATCH forum

Hi everyone and Thanks Mazze and Pepo,

Indeed, I suspect the harddrive to be the issue as the files are playing well on Premiere but only at half res too (didn't check before first post).... and they are playing better from another fastest hard drive...

Having the possibility to adjust the debayering resolution in Scratch would be nice though for a quick playback on modest machines. ;)

Thanks for your help !

Best,

Alex