ScotRUG Lockdown Editoin 5: Ruby 3

James Bell

Dec 8, 2020, 6:18:46 PM12/8/20
to Scottish Ruby User Group

Ah, December! The last month of the year, the amazingly short days, the promise of hogmanay. Also, for us Rubyists, the promise of a new Ruby version. This year should be a doozy, the first major version number bump in 8 years. Ruby 2 brought with it Refinements as well as refinements, and a big change in that Ruby scripts defaulted to being UTF-8 encoded unless otherwise specified.

So, what will Ruby 3 bring us? Well, no speaker this month. Instead I will be leading us on a ramble through what Ruby 3 promises along with maybe some experimentation with the features in the preview releases. It should be fun!

You may have noticed that different bits of the country are still in different Tiers of lockdown (and if you're in England or Wales or NI or elsewhere, the rules are different again). Suffice it to say, we'll need to meet online. So, you'll need to sign up via our Meetup page.

Date/time: 10th December, 18:00

Hope you and those you care about are doing OK, and we'll see some of you on Thursday. If not, a very merry Christmas and a happy Hogmanay. Here's to 2021.

James