ScotRUG meetup followup from Nick! :)

Nicholas Schwaderer

Jun 4, 2021, 8:34:50 AM6/4/21
to Scottish Ruby User Group
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for having me speak at your meetup the other day. Thanks to lockdown it had been a while since I'd spoken in front of Rubyists, so it was an absolute joy meeting and speaking with you.

During our conversation we'd mentioned a prior talk of mine, "Measuring Chronic Pain Outcomes in Ruby with Twilio", here is the link to that talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtBckwQaEBA

Second, I had been sandboxing a few things and doing more Ruby experiments after the talk. I've made a major discovery!

You might remember I couldn't get Bloopsaphone to make noises from within a vagrant box. Well, I retried on my machine out of stubbornness, and it works!!!

You heard that right- this ruby gem that hasn't received a single commit since Ruby ~1.8 era works perfectly fine twelve years later on Ruby 2.7. (just `brew install portaudio` first)

Maybe we should all give it a whirl and write our own Ruby theme songs?

schwad

Fernando Briano

Jun 8, 2021, 4:03:32 PM6/8/21
to sco...@googlegroups.com
This is great, thanks Nick!
It works on Ruby 3.0.1 too. I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, I installed portaudio with:
sudo apt-get install portaudio19-dev
And it just works :D

I'll have to try to write my version of a Ruby theme song :)