Wifi

Juozas

Feb 6, 2012, 7:43:12 PM2/6/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we need kick ass Wifi for conference. Someone should step up and
research how much it would cost to get that. Do we need special
hardware? Is it as simple as renting a dedicated line? Etc. We need
prices and what they can give us.

We need to accommodate around 120 Mbits upstream/downstream to be on par
on best conferences. I think that's pretty much impossible in UK, how
much can we get?

Given that we get some decent bandwidth we are going to stream this
event LIVE to anyone who wants to sit with his laptop and watch this (of
course talks are going to be recorded).

--
Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 9:28:50 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I feel we should aim for getting a sustainable broadband connection.
Secondly get recording equipment for things to be online.

With an optional third of streaming.

What do TheHub provide in terms of default wifi, and have you spoken to them about getting a dedicated line for the day.

- Paul.

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 9:34:25 AM2/7/12

On 07/02/12 14:28, Paul Dragoonis wrote:
I feel we should aim for getting a sustainable broadband connection.
Secondly get recording equipment for things to be online.
With an optional third of streaming.

What do TheHub provide in terms of default wifi, and have you spoken to them about getting a dedicated line for the day.
They have wifi, but it's not going to work for us as it's too weak.
It's not a venues job to provide additional internet, this is something we are responsible for.

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 9:48:21 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I'll call up my ISP's business line to see if they provide some form of daily setup.

- Paul.

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 9:49:33 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
We also need powerful router(-s) to handle ~150 or more simultaneous connections.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Dale Harvey

Feb 7, 2012, 9:52:09 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Just putting http://www.nonblocking.io/2011/05/how-to-make-wifi-work-at-tech.html
in here, I cant get my home router to work properly, so most definitely dont want me anywhere near it

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 9:53:06 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Yep, i've read that. :) That's why venue wifi is out of question and we need some really powerful connection and hardware.
Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 9:53:37 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I'm strong at networking, I'll see if they can give us the equipment too, deliver it.

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 9:54:27 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Potentially we can rent it. We can just throw in 10 or so APs.
Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 10:03:39 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I spoke to head office at virginmedia, they're calling me back.

Someone else is welcome to pursue other solutions to this too.

- Paul.

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 11:02:51 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I called them back as they were being dumbasses and someone from the
wrong department called me back.

The update now is:

I'm getting a call back from virginmedia head office for 2 quotes
1) Getting the high speed line for the conference
2) Getting the appropriate equipment and wireless rack to sustain 150
concurrent connections.

- Paul.

Aaron Bassett

Feb 7, 2012, 11:07:14 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I think we should be planning for more than 150 connections. I know I have at least 3  Wifi enabled devices on me all the time. And considering the audience I think that is going to be the rule rather than the exception.

Aaron Bassett
Senior Developer

E: aa...@thisislevelup.com
W: www.thisislevelup.com
T: 0141 333 6577
@: www.twitter.com/thisislvlup

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 11:09:43 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Okay, fair point. 200 or 250?

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 11:14:02 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Lets aim at 400.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 12, 2012, 8:48:29 AM2/12/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I spoke to a company today called WifiSpark, they're very keen to work with us, they do lots of tech conferences in UK on a much larger scale (up to 1200) people.

They have lots of options available for us and they're calling me back tomorrow (monday 13th) to discuss actual pricing.

I have a few other companies in mind but their opening hours are mon-fri so I'll wait until tomorrow to pursue those.

- Paul.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Juozas <juo...@juokaz.com> wrote:
Lets aim at 400.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

On 07/02/12 16:09, Paul Dragoonis wrote:
Okay, fair point. 200 or 250?

Juozas

Feb 14, 2012, 8:01:02 AM2/14/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Paul is contacting various WiFi providers and so far the lowest quote we
had is 9'000 (VAT included).

For the things we are doing, I think it would be ridiculous to spend the
biggest portion of the budget on Wifi. With prices like above, it would
be *cheaper* to buy everyone a 3G dongle with some allowance.

If we can't get anything reasonable, and probably we won't as anything
pro costs way more than what we would be looking to spend, we are going
to have to stick with Wifi The Hub has or have none. There were quite a
few conferences who did this and they argued that people paid more
attention.

--
Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 14, 2012, 8:08:27 AM2/14/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
We can get another BT line installed for around 300 perhaps.

Then we gotta take out broadband 2x 5mb/s connections.
If we have a nice router(s) (rented) we can set this up for a decent amount of connections going.
Maybe not covering everyone, but at least if any speakers are doing live demonstrations they will have access.

Lets discuss this further.

- Paul.

Juozas

Feb 14, 2012, 8:09:45 AM2/14/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
If speakers are doing live demonstrations they should be punched.

I'm ok with this if we have someone who has done this before and know how to set it up.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Rick Walker

Feb 14, 2012, 8:31:14 AM2/14/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com

Howdy Peeps,

(Intro: I am a colleague of Max' and am interested to help out if I can).

I have been chatting with Max about the challenge of providing access for delegates.  I used to work for an ISP here in Edinburgh (www.lumison.net) several lifetimes ago and still have some contacts there.  I sent the CEO an email yesterday asking about the possibility of sponsorship by means of providing temporary internet access.  Seems he is out of the office until Monday 20th but I'm sure he will reply, but obviously no guarantees of anything coming from that.

I also noticed this: http://www.noba.co.uk/services/

In particular: "Temporary ADSL/ADSL2+ Broadband. Up to 20Mbs 2:1 contention ratio installed in as little as 2 days for as little as 2 days. Robust & Cost effective, typically achievable anywhere there is an Address. Temporary WiFi, Clouds and Site wide transmission with a range of data capture and monetisation solutions available."

Which suggests that it is at least possible to provision temporary ADSL accounts, which was news to me, although not sure of the small print.  Perhaps they have a bag of existing accounts with BT that they can switch to different lines as they need to.

Not wanting to tread on any toes here, but the more options the better for this one it seems.

Rick.

Rick

Mar 7, 2012, 7:58:50 AM3/7/12
to Scotland tech conference

Hey Folks,

Just thought I would update you an this.

I got a positive response from this initially over 3 weeks ago along
the lines of 'we will see what we can do'. I was also in contact with
one of their engineers but it has all gone quiet and I don't want to
continually hassle them - slightly disappointing because, as I say,
they seemed positive at first. Not ruling it out as I haven't had a
response indicating they definitely can't help but at this stage I
suggest looking at alternatives.

If I do hear anything else, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Rick.

On Feb 14, 1:31 pm, Rick Walker <rickwalker2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy Peeps,
>
> (Intro: I am a colleague of Max' and am interested to help out if I can).
>
> I have been chatting with Max about the challenge of providing access for
> delegates.  I used to work for an ISP here in Edinburgh (www.lumison.net)
> several lifetimes ago and still have some contacts there.  I sent the CEO
> an email yesterday asking about the possibility of sponsorship by means of
> providing temporary internet access.  Seems he is out of the office until
> Monday 20th but I'm sure he will reply, but obviously no guarantees of
> anything coming from that.
>
> I also noticed this:http://www.noba.co.uk/services/
>
> In particular: "Temporary ADSL/ADSL2+ Broadband. Up to 20Mbs 2:1 contention
> ratio installed in as little as 2 days for as little as 2 days. Robust &
> Cost effective, typically achievable anywhere there is an Address.
> Temporary WiFi, Clouds and Site wide transmission with a range of data
> capture and monetisation solutions available."
>
> Which suggests that it is at least possible to provision temporary ADSL
> accounts, which was news to me, although not sure of the small print.
>  Perhaps they have a bag of existing accounts with BT that they can switch
> to different lines as they need to.
>
> Not wanting to tread on any toes here, but the more options the better for
> this one it seems.
>
> Rick.
>
> On 14 February 2012 13:09, Juozas <juo...@juokaz.com> wrote:
>

> > **