Second day

Juozas

Feb 6, 2012, 7:45:09 PM2/6/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we need to find a different venue. We might have the hub's second room,
but that's only 70 people in conference setup. I doubt hackathon would
work. Something with comfortable sitting and allowing different people
to join teams and hack on stuff. Tables.

Ideally somewhere close to The Hub.

--
Juozas Kaziukėnas

Aaron Bassett

Feb 7, 2012, 2:14:13 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Maybe get in touch with http://www.informatics-ventures.com/
They helped out with space for Sicamp last year and it was amazing. Lovely big building with heaps of space for different groups. Decent Wifi, loads of chairs/desks and sockets. Would be ideal.

http://vimeo.com/27716098 you can see the space in the opening scenes of this movie about the camp.

cheers

Aaron

Aaron Bassett
Senior Developer

E: aa...@thisislevelup.com
W: www.thisislevelup.com
T: 0141 333 6577
@: www.twitter.com/thisislvlup

Paolo Ciarrocca

Feb 7, 2012, 4:13:47 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I agree, Informatics Ventures is the most suitable place.
There isn't much else around old town.

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 4:58:10 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Is that Informatics Forum?

I tried to contact them but couldn't find a lead which would work. Do we know someone?

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Aaron Bassett

Feb 7, 2012, 5:09:29 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Not directly but I can get an introduction. Leave it with me and will see if I can get in touch with someone there.

cheers

Aaron

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 5:11:08 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that venue would work great.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Aaron Bassett

Feb 7, 2012, 7:25:02 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Some questions from Infomatics below. I've included some suggested answers. Any corrections/changes required before I reply?

> Is it going to be a charged event by yourselves?

Yes, although we are trying to keep ticket prices as low as possible, only charging enough to cover costs without taking any profit. It is a community conference organised by volunteers. We're also looking at the possibility of further reducing ticket costs for students to make it as accessible as possible.

> How many people do you expect to attend?

We have a maximum of 150 places for the first day conference and we expect some drop-off on the second day. So in the region of 80-100. It will be ticketed, so we can get exact numbers closer to the event.

> What hours would it be running?

10am - 6pm

> What catering, if any, required?

Not decided yet, most likely lunch and light refreshments (Tea, Coffee, Soft drinks) throughout the day.

> Rough schedule and outline of activities for the day.

10:00 - 10:30 : Welcome and introductions
10:30 - 10:45 : Organising into groups
10:45 - 13:00 : First block of sprints
13:00 - 14:00 : Lunch
14:00 - 17:00 : Second block of sprints
17:00 - 17:45 : Show and tell
17:45 - 18:00 : Final remarks and close

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 7:31:02 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
I think that's about right. If that's a blocker, they can NOT provide catering, we would be able to sort that out ourselves.

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Dougal Matthews

Feb 7, 2012, 7:32:03 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
> > Is it going to be a charged event by yourselves?

IIRC, any remaining profit is going to charity. It may be worth adding that if its still the case.

> What hours would it be running?
>

> 10am - 6pm

That's quite a late start IMO. Wouldn't 9 be better?

Juozas

Feb 7, 2012, 7:33:41 AM2/7/12
to scotland-tec...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is not for profit event, which means every single penny left
over is going to be donated, sponsored to other conference or left for
next year's event.

Because of after party night before, 10am is realistic, although doors
could open at 9am :)

Juozas Kaziukėnas

Paul Dragoonis

Feb 7, 2012, 9:19:36 AM2/7/12
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Juozas <juo...@juokaz.com> wrote:
Yes, this is not for profit event, which means every single penny left over is going to be donated, sponsored to other conference or left for next year's event.

Because of after party night before, 10am is realistic, although doors could open at 9am :)

I agree. Start at 10, open at 9 for the non-drinkers or early-risers.