Virtual Alt.Net

Craig Nicol

Jan 19, 2010, 10:00:53 AM1/19/10
to scotalt. net
I don't know if any of the rest of you read this blog, but I was wondering if there was any interest out there for combining some scotalt.net with virtual alt.net, either by broadcasting some of our meetings, or by meeting to discuss VAN meetings.

http://unhandled-exceptions.com/blog/index.php/2010/01/18/wanted-virtual-altnet-community-contributors-organizers-and-presenters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+unhandled-exceptions+%28Unhandled+Exceptions%29

What is Virtual Alt.Net?

Virtual Alt.Net is an online community that met weekly over the past year or so utilizing Live Meeting as a platform for exposing as many people as possible to software development concepts and ideas that many consider to be related to the Alt.Net community.  Virtual Alt.Net was spearheaded by Zack Young who accepted primary responsibility (along with several other people assisting him) for ensuring that speakers were invited, announcements of upcoming meetings distributed to as many people as possible, a web site for the effort was created, and a calendar of upcoming talks maintained.  Essentially, this entailed all the effort that would normally be related to maintaining a real-world user group, but didn’t include the need to secure a facility for the meetings, order food and beverage, and ensure attendees have access to the building.

As a member of the organizing team for the NYC Alt.Net user group that meets monthly, I can easily appreciate the amount of effort required to organize a weekly meeting.  Even without the requirement of securing space and refreshment, coordinating speakers on a weekly basis is a significant effort and Zack and his team are to be commended for assembling interesting topics on a weekly basis throughout the year.

--
skype: callto:craignicol     sip:craig...@ekiga.net    http://twitter.com/craignicol     http://craignicol.wordpress.com

Paul Cowan

Jan 19, 2010, 10:49:30 AM1/19/10
to scota...@googlegroups.com
Does the time difference not come into play?

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Craig Nicol

Jan 19, 2010, 11:11:33 AM1/19/10
to scota...@googlegroups.com
There is a European VAN - or we can do it live during New York's lunch break :-)

http://europevan.blogspot.com/