Scots language web site makes the papers

The Nit Nurse

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

Seems that Clive's web site has drawn the attention of the newspapers!

From: Scotland on Sunday, Aug 18th

SCOT IN THE WEB
===============

A chap at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and technology,
better known as UMIST (Q: would the University of Paisley dare start
something similar?) has set up the Scots language's first web site or 'wabsteid'
dedicated "ti the furtherin o the Scots leid". The version of Scots seems to
be a cross between Doric and the vernacular - Dracula? - but, as the chap
behind it is English, this may explain it. He is promising "a wee Dictionar o
Modren Yiss" and new made-up Scots words for the likes of cassette and
telephone ('yoospeek' is his suggestion). The question the Diary would like
answered is this: 'hoora thump dyae git pied fur keech lik yon?'

Clive Young

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

Och I'm hardened to this after dealing with you soc.culture.scottish lot!
It appeared at the top of the Ron McKay's Diary. My major peeves are:

(a) Calling me English. Can I sue?
(b) Making up the 'yoospeek' example. It doesn't exist on the site or
anywhere else. Artistic licence, eh, Ron?
(c) Being too ignorant to know most such web stuff is unpaid. If only.
(d) His crap 'Dracula' joke. Does _he_ get paid for this?
(e) His crappier attempt at Scots. Does 'How the thump' not hail
from N England?
(f) And worse of all, he didn't give the Web address. Really bad form.

Anyway, I sent a letter off to 'Smugness on Sunday' pointing out the
error of their ways. Will they print it? Will they thump.

Clive 'Nearly Famous' Young

lac...@brookcot.u-net.com

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

The Nit Nurse wrote:

> Seems that Clive's web site has drawn the attention of the newspapers!
>
> From: Scotland on Sunday, Aug 18th
>
> SCOT IN THE WEB
> ===============
>
> A chap at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and technology,
> better known as UMIST (Q: would the University of Paisley dare start
> something similar?) has set up the Scots language's first web site or 'wabsteid'
> dedicated "ti the furtherin o the Scots leid". The version of Scots seems to
> be a cross between Doric and the vernacular - Dracula? - but, as the chap
> behind it is English, this may explain it. He is promising "a wee Dictionar o
> Modren Yiss" and new made-up Scots words for the likes of cassette and
> telephone ('yoospeek' is his suggestion). The question the Diary would like
> answered is this: 'hoora thump dyae git pied fur keech lik yon?'

Does anyone know the Web site address if this Scots language's first
web site or 'wabsteid'?

Thanks
--
From UK

The Nit Nurse

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Do a Yahoo search for Scots Language. That turns it up.

Clive Young

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <dam-200896...@130.209.240.43>, d...@kerrera.dcs.ac.uk (The Nit Nurse) says:

>|> Does anyone know the Web site address if this Scots language's first
>|> web site or 'wabsteid'?
>
>Do a Yahoo search for Scots Language. That turns it up.

http://www.umist.ac.uk/UMIST_CAL/Scots/hame.htm

Check it oot! New updatit vairsion (Aug 1996). CY

The Nit Nurse

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vcl4m$a...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>, clive...@umist.ac.uk (Clive
Young) wrote:

Last time I checked it was only at 'a' - or was I doing something wrong?

Jings! Crivvens! Help ma boab!

Bob Tiptrie

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

>>The version of Scots seems to be a
>>cross between Doric and the vernacular...
................^^^^^

Doric? This appears to be used here as a term for Scots, but...

1. Is it?

2. Where did the term itself come from?
(One tends to think of matters Grecian with the word "Doric".)

Seeking enlightenment...

--
Robert Tiptrie
[Pithy quote here]

Rob Jackson

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <960820.185540.1...@cygnus.wa.com>, tip...@cygnus.wa.com (Bob Tiptrie) writes:
> >>The version of Scots seems to be a
> >>cross between Doric and the vernacular...
> ................^^^^^
>
> Doric? This appears to be used here as a term for Scots, but...
>
> 1. Is it?

Doric is the dialects spoken in the North East.

Clive Young

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

It was originally a Greek word meaning 'old'. It was used in the
18th century to describe any British rural dialect. It came from
literary analogy with the rustic form of Ancient Greek spoken
by the Dorians. By the 19th Century it was used more specifically
to mean the Scottish lowlands vernacular and this century
it has increasingly been used to describe the North East dialect
of Scots.

Doric is the most high-profile of the Scots dialects, and is
spoken widely. The most distinctive features are eg the 'f' sound
replacing the Scots 'wh', so 'fit' (whit) and 'fite' (white)
and the flat aa vowel. It also retains many Scots words which
have fallen into disuse elsewhere, and has quite a few of its own.

CY

Steve Howie

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Clive Young (clive...@umist.ac.uk) wrote:

[ ... ]

: Doric is the most high-profile of the Scots dialects, and is

: spoken widely. The most distinctive features are eg the 'f' sound
: replacing the Scots 'wh', so 'fit' (whit) and 'fite' (white)
: and the flat aa vowel. It also retains many Scots words which
: have fallen into disuse elsewhere, and has quite a few of its own.

:

There's a brilliant book (sort of a pseudo-dictionary) by David Toulmin
and Peter Buchan called "Buchan Claik" which gives a translation of
various Aberdeen/North-West Doric words and phrases. Absolutely hilarious!

Scotty
Steve Howie Email: sho...@uoguelph.ca
NetNews and Listserv Admin. Phone: (519) 824-4120 x2556
Computing and Communications Svcs. Fax: (519) 763-6143
University of Guelph

If it's not Scottish its CRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP

Chris Bain

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

In article <4vo1b1$o...@ccshst05.uoguelph.ca>, sho...@uoguelph.ca (Steve
Howie) wrote:

Another brilliant book on the subject is "Teach Yourself Doric" by Douglas
Kynoch (Aberdeen University Press, I think). It covers the grammar and
vocabulary of the language, as well as the idioms - very amusing some of
them are too. It is part "proper" text book, part is vehicle for some
brilliant Doric poetry / prose. Definitely worth a look !

Tattie-bye,

Chris.