New Article: Dev. of Speciesism Age-Related Differences in Moral View of Animals

Jean Boucher

Apr 12, 2022, 1:44:42 PM4/12/22
to ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, SCORAI Group, Anthropology & Environment Society Discussion
May be of interest: new finding of our age-related differences in moral views of animal-worth related to socialization. Abstract below...

Also covered here in the Guardian: -https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/11/farm-animals-and-humans-should-be-treated-the-same-children-say

Source article -  McGuire, L., Palmer, S.B., Faber, N.S., 2022. The Development of Speciesism: Age-Related Differences in the Moral View of Animals. Social Psychological and Personality Science 19485506221086184. https://doi.org/10.1177/19485506221086182

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/19485506221086182

Abstract. Humans care for the well-being of some animals (e.g., dogs) yet tacitly endorse the maltreatment of others (e.g., pigs). What treatment is deemed morally appropriate for an animal can depend on whether the animal is characterized as “food.” When such categorization of animals emerges and when a moral hierarchy of beings depending on their species membership (speciesism) develops is poorly understood. We investigate this development across samples of children (9–11 years old), young adults (18–21 years old), and adults (29–59 years old; total N = 479). Compared with young adults and adults, children (a) show less speciesism, (b) are less likely to categorize farm animals as food than pets, (c) think farm animals ought to be treated better, and (d) deem eating meat and animal products to be less morally acceptable. These findings imply that there are key age-related differences in our moral view of an animal worth that point to socially constructed development over the lifespan.