Open Seminars: Theory of Social Practice and Sustainable Consumption

Michał Czepkiewicz

Jan 7, 2023, 7:16:03 AM1/7/23
to SCORAI Group
Dear group members,

This year's Open Seminar series at the Faculty of Sociology of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań focuses on applying social practice theories to studying important social issues.

Two talks will relate to sustainable consumption and may be of interest to the group:
  1. January 12th, 17:00 CET: Marlyne Sahakian "Sustainable consumption and social change: intervening in everyday life practices"
  2. January 26th, 17:00 CET: Elizabeth Shove (title to be announced)
The talks will be held online (MS Teams) in English. Each talk will last about 45 minutes, followed by a discussion.

Details for Marlyne Sahakian's talk:
"Sustainable consumption and social change: intervening in everyday life practices"

Un-sustainable consumption patterns can lead to negative social and environmental impacts, not least climate change. There are certain consumption domains that have higher impacts than others, such as mobility, meat consumption, and heating homes. In this lecture, I first introduce sociological approaches to understanding everyday life dynamics that are significant in environmental terms, such as getting around, preparing a meal, or being comfortable at home. I then consider an un-sustainable practice and use social practice theory as a theory of change to devise ways to intervene in that practice, with a consideration for social norms, material arrangements, and skills and competencies, among other factors. The aim is to recognize how sustainable consumption dynamics must be embedded in social, institutional and material arrangements. Information campaigns to influence behaviour change, or more efficient technologies alone, will not suffice. Change needs to be understood in all of its complexity. In conclusion, I will discuss the limits and opportunities of such an approach.

Best regards,
Michał Czepkiewicz

Michał Czepkiewicz

Jan 18, 2023, 8:22:45 AM1/18/23
to SCORAI Group

Dear colleagues,

After an inspiring presentation by Marlyne Sahakian last week, we now invite you to take part in the next event of the Open Seminar series at the Faculty of Sociology of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.

At January 26th, 17:00 CET: Elizabeth Shove will give a talk on "Connecting Practices: Large Topics in Society and Social Theory"

Direct link to the MS Teams meeting: Click here
Facebook event: Click here

The seminar will be held in English.

Abstract

Some people say practice theories are especially and perhaps only good for addressing small aspects of the social world. In this talk I take the opposite view, arguing that practice theories are capable of engaging with very large topics including world trade, social inequality and climate change. I suggest that this depends on understanding how practices connect across space and time, and how forms of connectivity evolve and change.

Speaker bio

Elizabeth Shove is Professor of Sociology at Lancaster University. Her recent research has been about how social practices change and about the implications of these dynamics for everyday life, energy demand and climate change. Previous work has explored aspects of consumption, design and material culture and changing conventions of comfort, cleanliness and convenience. She is interested in extending the range of social theory that is used in public policy. She is author of “Comfort, Cleanliness and Convenience: the social organization of normality” (Berg 2003). Her recent books include “The Dynamics of Social Practice” with Mika Pantzar and Matt Watson (Sage 2012) and “Sustainable practices: social theory and climate change”, edited with Nicola Spurling (Routledge 2013), and "Connecting Practices Large Topics in Society and Social Theory" (Routledge 2022)

Best wishes,

Michał Czepkiewicz