concerns about solar geoengineering

Stephens, Jennie

Apr 21, 2022, 2:46:16 PM4/21/22
to sco...@googlegroups.com

Dear SCORAI Colleagues and Friends,

I am writing to ask you each to consider signing on to the Solar Geoengineering Non-Use Agreement, a global initiative that elevates concerns about the risks and injustices of advancing solar geoengineering as part of climate policy.  As billionaires continue to fund research on this dangerous techno-fix manipulation of the earth’s climate system and provide financial support to those advocating for public support for solar geoengineering, the voices of individuals, communities, and organizations who oppose further mainstreaming of this risky approach to climate policy need to be heard louder.  This open letter provides a collective forum to counter the powerful actors who are advocating for public funding for solar geoengineering by calling for 5 core commitments and measures:

  1. No public funding
  2. No outdoor experiments
  3. No patents
  4. No deployment
  5. No support in international institutions.

I encourage you to review the open letter and add your name as a signatory either as an academic, as a representative of a civil society organization, or as an individual citizen.

Thanks for considering this important initiative.   Feel free to get in touch with any questions.

Jennie

PS Instead of solar geoengineering, efforts to end fossil fuel reliance need to be prioritized for climate justice!  So I also encourage you to support the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty, which brings focus to the need for regulation to phase out fossil fuel extraction as a necessity for a more just, healthy and climate-stable future.

Jennie C. Stephens, PhD  (she/her)

Director & Professor, School of Public Policy & Urban Affairs

Director for Strategic Research Collaborations, Global Resilience Institute

Northeastern University, Boston, MA USA

@jenniecstephens (twitter)   jenniecstephens.com

Recent Publications

A Feminist Lens on Energy Democracy: Redistributing Power and Resisting Oppression Through Renewable Transformation.  Routledge Handbook of Energy Democracy. 2022

Climate policy conflict in the U.S. states: a critical review and way forward. Climatic Change, 2022

Feminist, Antiracist Values for Climate Justice: Moving Beyond Climate Isolationism. Sacred Civics: Building Seven Generation Cities. 2022

Green New Deal Proposals: Comparing emerging transformational climate policies. Energy Research & Social Science, 2021

The Dangers of Mainstreaming Solar Geoengineering: A Critique of the National Academies’ Report. Environmental Politics, 2021

Book

Diversifying Power: Why We Need Antiracist, Feminist Leadership on Climate and Energy, Island Press, 2020

Diversifying Power thumbmail