Invitation to virtual TES discussion series

Pascal Frank

Aug 1, 2022, 5:47:38 AM8/1/22
to sco...@googlegroups.com

Dear SCORAI members,

I would like to invite to to our next virtual TES discussion series, which is explicitly in line with the topics addressed by this community.

The International Academy Transformation for Environment and Sustainability (TES Academy) and

the Task Force “Sustainability and the war in Ukraine” at UBA invite you to participate in:

A public Virtual TES discussion series

„The relevance of the war in Ukraine for transformation towards sustainability

Keynote and discussion with

Prof. Dr. William Rees

(former Director and Professor Emeritus at University of British Columbia’s School of Community and Regional Planning)

Dr. Sylvia Lorek

(Head of Sustainable Europe Research Institute (SERI) e.V.)

Prof. Dr. Tobias Brosch

(Professor at University of Geneva, director of Consumer Decision and Sustainable Behavior Lab)

on the topic:

“The war in Ukraine as magnifying glass of current unsustainability? Perspectives on sustainable production and consumption”

26th August 2022

from 16:0017:30 CEST

via WebEx (please use the registration link below)

The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the urgently needed sustainability transformation face new challenges due to the Russian war against Ukraine. Especially in European communities, many initiated changes are currently re-evaluated under the unprecedented geopolitical situation ("Zeitenwende"), such as energy supply, mobility, and agriculture.

The German Environment Agency (UBA) considers the new global situation both a potential threat and an opportunity for the vision of a sustainability transformation (e.g., transition to renewable energy). Therefore, UBA launches an online discussion series to reflect on the implications of the current crises with international experts. The series is organized by the newly established International Academy Transformation for Environment and Sustainability (TES Academy) at UBA and the UBA Task Force ”Sustainability and the war in Ukraine”. The TES Academy aims to bring together international experts and practitioners on sustainability issues to advance transformation activities. The Task Force analyzes the implications of the war in Ukraine for environmental and sustainability policy.

In our third event, we inquire into the root causes of the seemingly new problems resulting from the war in Ukraine: Has the war created new problems to achieving a sustainability transformation? Or does it merely make visible the fragility and general unsustainability of current (especially Western) lifestyles? Do affluent lifestyles depend on the use of fossil fuels? And can these lifestyles be reconciled with a sustainability transformation that discards the use of fossil fuels? Based on these questions, we explore the psychological barriers that often keep us from facing the uncomfortable realities surrounding our lifestyles and engaging in activities that can support a sustainability transformation despite – or even because of – the multiple crises we are currently experiencing. We then bring the discussion back to the professional contexts of the audience and ask how public institutions and policymakers can act in light of these barriers.

Click on the registration link to receive the WebEx Log In Data.

https://uba-meeting.webex.com/uba-meeting/j.php?RGID=r9dd33df8125e5f99bd2730e51ab0e36c

Please feel free to forward this invitation and the registration link to your network partners and anyone, who would like to listen to or participate in this virtual discussion.

RECORDING NOTICE: This online event enables an attendee to participate through a personal device's microphone and/or camera. An attendee may elect not to participate through use of a microphone and/or camera. The election of an attendee to use a microphone and/or camera constitutes a release and waiver of rights in the capture of the attendee's image, likeness, and/or voice for the exclusive use by German Environment Agency (UBA).

Further information:

www.tes-academy.de
--
Dr. Pascal Frank

Präsidialbereich/ Presidential offices
Projektgruppe Internationale Akademie Transformation für Umwelt und Nachhaltigkeit des UBA (TES Academy)

Umweltbundesamt
Wörlitzer Platz 1
06844 Dessau-Roßlau

Tel: +49 (0)340 2103-2981
Fax: +49 (0)340 2104-2981
pascal...@uba.de
http://www.umweltbundesamt.de

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Pascal_Frank

Most recent publications:

Frank, P., Heimann, K., Kolbe, V. & Schuster, C. (2022). Can guided introspection help avoid rationalization of meat consumption? Mixed-methods results of a pilot experimental study. Cleaner and Responsible Consumption. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clrc.2022.100070
Grauer, C., Fischer, D. & Frank, P. (2022). Time and sustainability: A missing link in formal education curricula. The Journal of Environmental Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2021.2009429
Frank, P. & Marken, M. (2022). Developments in Qualitative Mindfulness Practice Research: a Pilot Scoping Review. Mindfulness. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12671-021-01748-9