The rise of "underconsumption core"

Liz Allen

Jul 25, 2024, 5:28:21 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to SCORAI Group
Hi SCORAI-ers,
At yesterday's SCORAI Board meeting I mentioned the recent rise of "underconsumption core" content on social media, and today saw that there's a NYT article on the topic: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/25/style/tiktok-underconsumption-influencers.html?unlocked_article_code=1.900.9WCZ.VkeNhaiPEZ_j&smid=url-share (gift link)

I tend to agree with the author who suggests that this is a re-branding of a cyclical trend that pops up every decade or so in response to economic anxiety. But I think the trend is about more than economic hardship and being tired of seeing a never ending parade of product influencer content, there's a growing awareness among Gen Z that consumption in wealthy nations is wildly out of step with planetary boundaries. I see some hope in the fact that reusing, recycling, and making do with what one already has are being celebrated as trendy and "cool" behaviors. Just wanted to circulate this along with my reaction, which is that "the kids are alright." I'm curious what others think: a passing trend, a generational shift, or something in between?

Heyman, Josiah M

Jul 25, 2024, 6:01:19 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to lizb....@gmail.com, SCORAI Group

Thanks. Good questions.

I also want to remind people that there is voluntary reduction in consumption but also involuntary reduction (not enough income, not adequate access, etc.). Not identical to, though related to, a mood of economic anxiety. I’m happy to share some items on involuntary reduction in consumption.

Joe Heyman

From: sco...@googlegroups.com <sco...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Liz Allen <lizb....@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2024 at 3:28 PM
To: SCORAI Group <sco...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [SCORAI] The rise of "underconsumption core"

You don't often get email from lizb....@gmail.com. Learn why this is important

EXTERNAL EMAIL: This e-mail is from a sender outside of the UTEP system. Please forward suspicious emails to secu...@utep.edu or call 915.747.6324

[...]

Ilan Kelman

Jul 26, 2024, 2:18:42 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to SCORAI Group

Thank you for this helpful summary and important questions. Two added thoughts:

1. How much underconsumption is influenced by one trend away from paying for products toward paying for experiences? Certainly, experiences--from entertainment to travel--require consumption. It might not be seen as such and, if local experiences, could have less overall consumption than purchasing little-used products. Would overland, backpacking tourism within one's own country (experience) count as underconsumption compared to a new phone and wardrobe every year (products)--or be perceived as such?

2. Would there be parallels with voluntary rationing, such as during wars? Rationing was often imposed (involuntary underconsumption or involuntary correct-consumption), at times with an undercurrent of 'voluntary allocation systems' or 'methods short of rationing' https://doi.org/10.1177/002224294501000102 (ostensibly voluntary underconsumption or ostensibly voluntary correct-consumption).

Within this discussion, the 'planetary boundaries' / 'Earth systems boundaries' framework might be best avoided due to:

(a) Technical errors.

(b) Numerous human traits and needs are missing.

(c) Earlier science provides more breadth and depth.

(d) Earlier science critiques some of planetary boundaries' assumptions.

Ilan

Psychology Today blog https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/disaster-choice

Richard Rosen

Jul 26, 2024, 5:04:58 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to ilan_...@yahoo.com, SCORAI Group
I note that our generation (over 70) used to love to collect and use antiques for the rest of their lives, which is an important form of recycling.  I hear that younger generations don't want to buy and use antiques, and use their parents' old furniture and household items. Is that correct?  --  RichRosen

Joe Zammit-Lucia

Jul 26, 2024, 5:51:29 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to SCORAI Group
In the context of reduced consumption, one of the things that doesn't seem to be much discussed is what people are supposed to do with their disposable income. If we don't want them to consume goods, not consume services, not pay for experiences - how do we want people to lead their lives?

It is reasonable to say that people consume according to their available disposable income. Short of arguing to make everyone poorer so that they consume less (good luck with that), or pushing for continued inflation so that people's income goes less far (kind of the same thing), what are we suggesting that people do with their disposable income?

Best

Joe

Dr Joe Zammit-Lucia

Follow my regular 'Random Thoughts' newsletter here

Ilan Kelman

Jul 26, 2024, 6:14:50 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to SCORAI Group
Joe - Brilliant comment which perhaps addresses the core of overconsumption. With so many prevalent inequities, why do a reasonable percentage of people, although far from the majority, earn far more money than they could spend sustainably? One clear answer is to have sufficient income during a long, reasonably comfortable retirement, especially retirement before the state-mandated age. Pensions are being eviscerated and the 'guaranteed retirement income' from contributions is not necessarily guaranteed. Similarly, jobs are far from secure. Therefore, people save for expected bouts of unemployment or caring leave. I know people who are content earning and saving reasonably for part of the year, because it keeps them going when they do not have work or when they choose not to work. Finally, given the condition of health systems around the world, it would be wise to save extensively for private, even overseas, medical treatment. Overall, 'disposable income' this month is not so disposable for lifelong and lifesaving planning.

Rich - An insightful remark. What I note is not so much a desire to avoid antiques, but rather a lack of affordability and being more relaxed about possessions, hence reusing. There can be a sustainability subtext. If my parents have curtains or a table or a keyboard lying around that they do not need, then why should I spend the little money I have for new products? If I am not so fussy about fashion and am happy with functionality, then my duvets might not match my couch, but I have helped my parents declutter and I have paid off a little bit more of my student loans or mortgage. In terms of antiques, I do find many people across generations enamoured by and collecting LPs and books.

Thank you for these two comments,

Ilan
Encouraging consumption by shamelessly advertising Disaster by Choice https://global.oup.com/academic/product/disaster-by-choice-9780198841357

Ashley Colby

Jul 26, 2024, 10:50:34 AM (24 hours ago) Jul 26
to ilan_...@yahoo.com, SCORAI Group
Thanks all for the thoughtful comments!

I haven't seen much study of this phenomenon, but in my neighborhood in Chicago there are facebook "no buy" groups where people give away things for free they no longer want or need. These groups are incredibly active with thousands and members and dozens of posts per day of people giving things away.

This serves both to keep consumer goods out of landfills and also to limit buying of new things. Speaking as a qualitative sociologist, these "buy nothing" groups fit neatly into what are most often mothers (on the sites I am on) getting a "bargain" or a deal, always looking to pinch pennies while providing for their families. Also as a young mother who often gets overwhelmed by a sea of consumer goods (via gifts, e.g.) it is a nice alternative to having to donate goods to a local thrift store. In this case you can simply coordinate with another person in the neighborhood to come pick things up off of your porch.

It's a really cool phenomenon and I wonder how widespread it is in other cities?

Ashley Colby

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

My book: Subsistence Agriculture in the US

Twitter @RizomaSchool

See my most recent writing here

Robert Rattle

Jul 26, 2024, 11:09:13 AM (24 hours ago) Jul 26
to ilan_...@yahoo.com, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group
Good conversation. To respond to your question Ashley, freecycles, waste nothing/zero waste and related groups are very widespread and take on a variety of forms/goals (you can infer some from their names). They've been around for at least a quarter century and closely align with local currencies, voluntary simplicity and downshifting values/groups. It's interesting how they vary from city to city/region to region by membership, activity and goals, social and cultural norms and regional status/incomes. These groups tend to ebb and flow with outside factors such as economic anxiety, and micro-targeting and peer pressure in the digital age, but given their persistence, there's clearly an underlying constituency that support sustainable consumption (in various definitions/forms) that helps to maintain their base.

Ashley Colby

Jul 26, 2024, 11:14:03 AM (24 hours ago) Jul 26
to SCORAI Group
Hi Robert,

Oh yes I should mention I was aware of various voluntary simplicity, "freegans," etc. type groups, most of whom I'd describe as actively engaged in sustainability ideology. I'd say what's significantly different in my experience with the "no buy" groups is there is little to no sustainability ethic involved. That is, this is not a group that is self-consciously making this choice due to environmental or sustainability reasons. but instead for frugality, practicality, etc. I find this kind of thing fascinating. Where can we align with more of the center of the societal ideological bell curve on sustainability *actions* whether or not they are self-consciously espousing sustainability *ideology.*