Webinar on Climate Change and the Military/Industrial/Consumerist Complex

Kathy Schwarz

Apr 7, 2022, 8:11:08 AM4/7/22
to SCORAI Group

Climate Change and the Military/Industrial/Consumerist Complex

Can technology really rescue us from environmental destruction?  Can the goal of a forever-growing economy really benefit all?  Might we (especially in the US) need to change our culture, our lifestyle, and our value system?   Come explore the complexities with our outstanding speakers:

Dr. Neta Crawford, Professor and Chair of the Department Political Science, Boston University.  In July, she will become the Montague Burton Professor of International Relations at Oxford University, Oxford UK.  She will be speaking on the military being the US' biggest consumer of fossil fuels, and reminding us that the cost of that comes from all of us through our taxes.  She is author of The Pentagon, Climate Change and War, forthcoming from MIT Press.

J.B. MacKinnon, award-winning journalist and author of The Day the World Stops Shopping:  How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves, speaking about American consumerism and its contribution to environmental degradation.

Dr. Daniel Wildcat, author of Red Alert:  Saving the Planet with Indigenous Knowledge and founder of the Haskell Environmental Research Studies Center, speaking of indigenous peoples’ contrasting philosophy of life that views human beings as part of nature, not superior to it.

Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 7 PM EST on ZOOM

Register in advance for this webinar:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_26M0zUubTwWrv5TaeGwwVg

Sponsored by the Sierra Club, Atlantic Chapter

Equity/Consumption/Environment Committee