FYI - New evidence for higher social cost of CO2

Jean Boucher

Sep 12, 2022, 4:05:37 PM9/12/22
to ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, SCORAI Group
May be of interest -

New article in Nature citing evidence for a higher social cost of CO2...

Jean

Jean Boucher

Sep 12, 2022, 4:29:13 PM9/12/22
to ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, SCORAI Group
For those without access, the article is attached - Jean
Rennert et al 2022 Comprehensive Evidence Implies a Higher Social Cost of CO2.pdf

Ruben Nelson

Sep 12, 2022, 5:34:41 PM9/12/22
to jlb...@gmail.com, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, SCORAI Group

Thanks, Jean,

Two things strike me:

1.       This is yet another in a whole raft of reports on recent research which when taken together says, “Things are worse than we thought.  We have not understood the nature or degree of risk we face.”  And yet we are reluctant to act as if the pattern revealed by bits of evidence such as this.  To do so is seen to be too risky and upsetting.  We keep hoping for a good outcome form “the best case”, when it is increasingly clear that the best data does not support what is being sold as the best case.

2.       There are benefits if we develop the courage to face the worst that we are coming to know about our situation and its implications for our future; benefits which we cannot access if we continue to shy away from the worst that we know.

Ruben

Ruben F.W. Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

+1-403-609-1016

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

Courageous Leadership for Transforming Change

--
- SCORAI website: https://scorai.net
- Join SCORAI: https://scorai.net/join

image003.jpg

Richard Rosen

Sep 13, 2022, 6:09:20 AM9/13/22
to jlb...@gmail.com, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, SCORAI Group
This is not news for those of us who follow this issue.  In fact, the social cost of CO2 is not calculated in a reasonable way, and should be much higher. One of the main problems with the methodology used is that the real discount rate assumed is still too high, but climate damages are still underestimated given events like those that have already occurred this summer around the world.    ---- Rich Rosen