Some challenging Danish EPR experiences with electrical and electronic products .....SV: [SCORAI] Fwd: WG: International Law & EPR

1 view

Michael Søgaard Jørgensen

May 27, 2023, 8:21:15 AM5/27/23
to pascal...@leuphana.de, sco...@googlegroups.com

Dear Pascal

It is an interesting and important that the TES Academy initiates analyses of the role of EPR in transitions towards a more circular economy.

Maybe some of the Danish experiences can be interesting in the TES Academy process, because these experiences challenge the environmental potentials of EPR.

As a researcher within circular economy and sustainable transitions, I would say that we have bad experiences with EPR enabling any kind of preventive environmental efforts in relation to electrical and electronic products. I would be happy to contribute with a critical perspective based on these experiences.

In Denmark, EPR is a national implementation of EU regulation, and part of our problems in Denmark might be explained by a implementation of the EU WEEE regulation primarily focused on waste management. The Danish implementation includes no preventive efforts.

WEEE EPR without preventive impact

Most retailers and manufacturers within electrical and electronic products in Denmark are members of a collective scheme, which organizes the collection of the WEEE. The members pay a weight based fee, mainly to the collective scheme and a small part to the Danish Producer Responsibility Agency and are responsible for organising collection of a waste amount equalizing the weight of the products they have introduced on the market.

The collection and handling of WEEE has in the biggest collective scheme been organized through tenders and it got to a situation some years ago where the bids become so cheap that some WEEE-companies went bankrupt and left WEEE on their premises. A Danish municipality is still struggling with some of this old waste and its pollution of soil.

It is not the products a company introduced to the market they are responsible for handling. This implies that there is no possibilities for preventive learning from how the products wear through use.

The recent EU request for WEEE fee modulation

The EU Commission asked some years ago the member states to revise their WEEE EPR schemes in order to make the schemes more preventive by introducing modulated waste fees based on differences in the waste handling costs. This implies that the modulation of the waste fees most probably will be limited and give no significant economic incentive for manufacturers and importers to introduce environmentally better products. Furthermore, the EU has not yet managed to agree on criteria for the modulation.

Danish modulation of WEEE fees

The Danish EPA chose in the meantime to propose a Danish modulation of the WEEE waste fees, while awaiting the EU proposal.

The Danish modulation is innovative in the sense that it offers a 20% discount of the WEEE waste fee if a manufacturer or importer offers a 2-year product guarantee on the top of the present 2-year warranty period. However, this 20% discount implies no economic incentive for manufacturers or importers because this reduction equalizes a discount of around 2 Euro on a laptop!

According to the marketing law, the 2-year extra product guarantee should be visible on the product. Ideally, this might be make consumers choose products where the manufacturer or importer assumes a longer product lifetime is possible and thereby the amount of WEEE could be reduced. However, we don’t know whether any manufacturers or importers will apply this opportunity.

I am happy to discuss these Danish experiences as part of the TES Academy process.

Regards

Michael Søgaard Jørgensen

Associate Professor, PhD

Department of Planning

Aalborg University

A.C. Meyers Vænge 15

2450 Copenhagen SV

DENMARK

Tel. +45 9940 2967 /Mobile: +45 2125 6815

Skype: michael.soegaard.joergensen

Web page: https://vbn.aau.dk/en/persons/101844/publications/