does anyone know this book?

Philip Vergragt

Sep 16, 2022, 8:56:08 AM9/16/22
to sco...@googlegroups.com

From: eca-mass...@googlegroups.com <eca-mass...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Amy Meltzer
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2022 8:00 AM
To: e...@woll.us
Cc: Betty Krikorian <lin...@aol.com>; ECA Mass Research <eca-mass...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Transporting food generates whopping amounts of carbon dioxide

Hi All -

Does anyone know about Professor Sarah Bridle (an astrophysicist form the UK) and her book: Food and Climate Change -- Without the Hot Air, published by UIT Cambridge in 2021 in the US. Description:

"• 25% of greenhouse gas emissions come from food – how can we reduce this?

• What effect does the food we eat have on the environment?

• How will climate change affect the food we will eat in the future?

• Can the choices we make as consumers reduce carbon emissions dramatically?

Inspired by the author's former mentor David MacKay (Sustainable Energy without the Hot Air), Food and Climate Change is a rigorously researched discussion of how food and climate change are intimately connected. In this ground-breaking and accessible work, Prof Sarah Bridle focuses on facts rather than emotive descriptions. Highly illustrated in full colour throughout, the book explains how anyone can reduce the climate impact of their food."

I’m wondering if anyone has heard of this and knows well researched it is.

Amy

On Sep 15, 2022, at 10:19 PM, <e...@woll.us> <e...@woll.us> wrote:

The articles make me think about how much of the transportation sources of carbon emissions will be resolved by electrification of vehicles and the use of, for example, hydrogen to power trains and large trucks.   It would be helpful to know what part of the entire transportation carbon emissions are from agriculture alone.   The articles do not have enough detail to wheedle out any useful approximation.  The most pertinent reference to start to answer that question is "They found that, in 2017, food transportation added emissions equivalent to 3.0 gigatonnes of CO2 to the atmosphere, up to 7.5 times what was previously estimated (see ‘Food transport and production emissions’). The research was published in Nature Food on 20 June."

Ed

Sep 16, 2022, 11:35:18 AM9/16/22
to pver...@outlook.com, sco...@googlegroups.com
The book is part of a series, "without the hot air"
This book is free on Amazon in the US

--
- SCORAI website: https://scorai.net
- Join SCORAI: https://scorai.net/join