Fwd: [Healthy Soils] Regenerative Agriculture - A Few Recent Developments

Ashley Colby

Sep 14, 2022, 11:38:38 AM9/14/22
to SCORAI Group
May be interesting for those of you interested in regenerative ag developments.

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Executive Director Rizoma Foundation, Loconomy Project

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

My book: Subsistence Agriculture in the US

Twitter @RizomaSchool @RizomaFound @LoconomyNow

-------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice: This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Ashley Colby. Neither this document nor any of the information contained herein may be reproduced or disclosed under any circumstances without the express written permission of Ashley Colby. Please be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.

Sep 17, 2022, 4:13:35 PM9/17/22
to SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

Interesting piece by David Barkin: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frsus.2022.944252/full

In response to the deep social and ecological crisis for which the international community is proving incapable of attenuating, many Peasants and Indigenous peoples in Mexico, and in other parts of the Global South, are transforming their visions of their futures, shaping a new ethos of self-management and conviviality, consistent with a responsible relationship to their territories. From the vantage point of the Global South, these peoples constitute a social and economic force that is altering the social and productive dynamics in many countries, proposing models of organization and building alliances among themselves regionally and internationally to exchange information, develop common strategies, and provide political support. In Mexico, many continue to produce traditional crops, while modifying their techniques to incorporate agroecological experiences from other communities, diversifying output and protecting the environment. Recently, they are enriching local practices w
Bill

Sep 17, 2022, 5:05:29 PM9/17/22
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

Thanks, Bill,

Given that much of the Global South is still living in cultures that exemplify a settle, agriculture-based form of civilization which experiences reality as relational, it may well be that they are the ones who will develop the next form of civilization.  This would be deliciously ironic,  since we still see them as “underdeveloped” and see ourselves as in charge as the edge of history.

Ruben

Ruben F.W. Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

+1-403-609-1016

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

Courageous Leadership for Transforming Change

image003.jpg

Noel Gerard Keough

Sep 17, 2022, 5:14:51 PM9/17/22
to ruben...@shaw.ca, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com
I would tend to agree Ruben.
Our time in the sun is coming to an end. Others will be crafting what the next two hundred years looks likes.

Noel

On Sep 17, 2022, at 3:05 PM, Ruben Nelson <ruben...@shaw.ca> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

Thanks, Bill,
Given that much of the Global South is still living in cultures that exemplify a settle, agriculture-based form of civilization which experiences reality as relational, it may well be that they are the ones who will develop the next form of civilization.  This would be deliciously ironic,  since we still see them as “underdeveloped” and see ourselves as in charge as the edge of history.
Ruben

Ruben F.W. Nelson
Executive Director
Foresight Canada
<image003.jpg>

Ashley Colby

Jean Boucher

Sep 18, 2022, 4:52:29 PM9/18/22
to Ashley Colby, Noel Gerard Keough, ruben...@shaw.ca, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group
Who are these people that still "exemplify a settle, agriculture-based form of civilization"? Isn't most of the world settled into the world system: peripheral-nation extraction and export to the core 'developed' nations?

JB

Ashley Colby

Sep 18, 2022, 5:00:15 PM9/18/22
to Jean Boucher, Noel Gerard Keough, ruben...@shaw.ca, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group
Jean I keep sharing this short report but it seems very few of you click on it. Here is one statistic:

" ETC Group estimates about 70% of the population – 4.5–5.5 billion of the world’s 7.5 billion people – depend on the Peasant Food Web for most or all of their food."

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Executive Director Rizoma Foundation, Loconomy Project

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

My book: Subsistence Agriculture in the US

Twitter @RizomaSchool @RizomaFound @LoconomyNow

-------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice: This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Ashley Colby. Neither this document nor any of the information contained herein may be reproduced or disclosed under any circumstances without the express written permission of Ashley Colby. Please be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.

Ashwani Vasishth

Sep 18, 2022, 5:13:15 PM9/18/22
to ash...@rizomafieldschool.com, Jean Boucher, Noel Gerard Keough, ruben...@shaw.ca, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group

I agree, Ashley.  Though I think of it as subsistence agriculture--folks who grow just enough food to feed themselves, with perhaps a little surplus to sell for things tht can only be bought in the cash economy.

For me the real value of the "local food movement" is that it MIGHT move some few of us closer to thinking about where our food comes from.

The ONLY reason we--all of us--are sitting here talking about these world transforming ideas is because the ag revolution freed us (and pour ancestors) from subsistence farming.

Of COURSE we would all be better off if we thought about where our food came from.  And, unquestionably, eating less meat would help us ALL.

All these fashion-trends we sneer at, all come frpom some small insight for how we OUGHT to think about our world.

They are NOT solutions.  They are life-style changes that it would help us to consider.

--

     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)

You can ALWAYS set up an Appointment with me, without negotiation, seven days a week,
              at: https://calendly.com/vasishth/webex-meeting

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

I respectfully acknowledge that Ramapo College is located on the ancestral and traditional Indigenous territory of the Ramapough Lenape Nation.

JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF

Sep 18, 2022, 5:26:35 PM9/18/22
to ashwani....@gmail.com, SCORAI Group
Has it occurred to anyone that we might be debating these fine points while Rome burns, or rather while the US slips into fascism that will set all of this back decades?

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

Ashley Colby

Sep 18, 2022, 5:42:21 PM9/18/22
to vasi...@ramapo.edu, Jean Boucher, Noel Gerard Keough, ruben...@shaw.ca, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, SCORAI Group
Sorry to flood the listserve, but these debates always seem to devolve into someone thinking my argument is something like "eat local" or other lifestyle politics.

I am not advocating for this. In no uncertain terms: I am advocating for a wholesale transformation of our economics, finance, politics, agriculture and community through a slow, bottom up regeneration of every institution of the developed world. Agriculture and food systems are easy examples, but in no way am I expecting everyone to become a farmer or just telling people to eat local.

I am saying we can start today in building resilience and regeneration in ourselves (psychology), relationships, family, education and outward in concentric spheres of influence. Regenerative economy, regenerative business, regenerative agriculture, regenerative education. It is all interconnected and we all need to start as soon as possible.

I have plenty of details and examples of people doing this, which I document on my podcast Doomer Optimism.

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Executive Director Rizoma Foundation, Loconomy Project

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

My book: Subsistence Agriculture in the US

Twitter @RizomaSchool @RizomaFound @LoconomyNow

-------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice: This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Ashley Colby. Neither this document nor any of the information contained herein may be reproduced or disclosed under any circumstances without the express written permission of Ashley Colby. Please be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.

Ashley Colby

Sep 19, 2022, 10:31:06 AM9/19/22
to Halina Brown, SCORAI Group, pvergragt (pvergragt@outlook.com), Robert Orzanna
Hello All:

Halina has asked me to move this discussion to the community forum on the SCORAI website. If you would like to continue this discussion, please direct your responses there, as a reply to this post:

Thank you kindly!

Ashley

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Executive Director Rizoma Foundation, Loconomy Project

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

My book: Subsistence Agriculture in the US

Twitter @RizomaSchool @RizomaFound @LoconomyNow

-------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice: This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Ashley Colby. Neither this document nor any of the information contained herein may be reproduced or disclosed under any circumstances without the express written permission of Ashley Colby. Please be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 11:15 AM Halina Brown <HBr...@clarku.edu> wrote:

Dear Ashley,

I would like to transfer this discussion to the “other salon”. Far too many emails!!!!   I cannot reach Robert at this moment. Maybe you know how to do it before sending another email.

Here is the instruction. Please do it ASAP. Thank you!

In order to balance these competing objectives – free flowing exchange of ideas and arguments among those who want to pursue them; and preventing an overload of email among the rest, we are creating an additional “salon” for these longer conversations.

For now we are calling it the SCORAI Community which can be accessed at https://community.scorai.net

Once you sign up for an account there, you are able to participate in a discussion which we have transferred from the listserv.

All transferred discussions can be accessed on the main homepage and are preserved as a public archive.

One of us on the Board will curate the conversations and use our best judgment as to when to invite the participants to continue their exchanges in the second salon, open to all.

[EXTERNAL]

Image removed by sender.

Bill

This conversation is locked