DistCache behavior

Alex Cozzi

Jun 27, 2013, 5:49:41 PM6/27/13
to scoob...@googlegroups.com, jobe...@ebay.com
I am trying to establish whether scoobi uses correctly the distributed cache. The problem is that a single file /tmp/scoobi-b_xxx/scoobi-20130621-235229-RunSteps$-37a11197-eda2-4b26-aa39-f5c4ac7ba850/dist-objs/scoobi.mappers-scoobi-20130621-235229-RunSteps$-37a11197-eda2-4b26-aa39-f5c4ac7ba850(Mscr-1) was opened 90231 times by scoobi, and I suspect that each mapper is supposed to use the local cache but failed.
Looking at the code:

I notice that the DistCache will silently fall back to use the remote cache when the local cache fails. Do you think it would be a good idea to log in the stderr when the local cache lookup fails? It will help to track down the problem.

Alex

Eric Torreborre

Jun 27, 2013, 9:45:24 PM6/27/13
to scoob...@googlegroups.com, jobe...@ebay.com
Hi Alex,

My knowledge of the internals of Hadoop is not great so I'll appreciate any guidance you will give me on how to improve cache usage.

For now I have added a "scoobi.DistCache" WARNING when there are no local cache files (the new cdh4/cdh3 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT versions should be published in 30 minutes or so).

If you don't have time to investigate this issue can you please open a bug, I'll look into it (when I come back from holidays because I'm off next week).

Thanks,

Eric.

Eric Torreborre

Jul 14, 2013, 8:07:31 PM7/14/13
to scoob...@googlegroups.com, jobe...@ebay.com
Hi Alex,

I'm back from holidays but didn't have time unfortunately to have a look at this issue (I'm mostly working on #282 which is non-trivial). Did you find anything interesting?

Thanks,

Eric.

Alex Cozzi

Jul 18, 2013, 4:07:12 PM7/18/13
to scoob...@googlegroups.com, jobe...@ebay.com
Hi Eric,
thank you for adding the logging. So far we did not see the DistCache log being reported in our job on the cluster, but we are still looking into it.
I will keep you posted.
Alex