Broken pipe error when pushing to new git repository (Windows)

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 6:12:27 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager
Hi,

I've used the scm-manager to create a new git repository. From my PC I
then try to push into the repository with the following results:

E:\GIT_TAPS>git push http://locode01:8080/scm/git/taps.git master
Username:
Password:
Counting objects: 13950, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3860/3860), done.
error: RPC failed; result=56, HTTP code = 0iB | 47 KiB/s
Writing objects: 100% (13950/13950), 171.14 MiB | 8.89 MiB/s, done.
Total 13950 (delta 10264), reused 13414 (delta 9882)
fatal: expected ok/error, helper said '4004Ho\J1↓B‼!cF↑x)§Ca-?T"5Oi=∟y?
r↓☻b♂-∟Wm
6f*@T⌂?T☻♣.9☼lHE↨/v?♀_"[}N/?)?⌂Zr{) y'/zi6k\´S"AL♫N-~@I+~?Z↑l♥§o☺
$→F6←uEq+5?
♠♫|♀?⌂U=↑♀►'

fatal: write error: Broken pipe

E:\GIT_TAPS>

If I log into the remote machine (locode01) and then mount my PC disk
I can perform the same command without error.

Server is Windows 2003, PC is XP.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2011, 6:32:26 AM7/13/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Could you please try to push to the repository without the .git in the url:

E:\GIT_TAPS>git push http://locode01:8080/scm/git/taps master

Have you the same git version on both machines? Which version of git do you use?

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 8:15:46 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 13, 11:32 am, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Could you please try to push to the repository without the .git in the url:
>
> E:\GIT_TAPS>git pushhttp://locode01:8080/scm/git/tapsmaster

E:\GIT_TAPS>git push http://locode01:8080/scm/git/taps master
Username:
Password:
fatal: http://locode01:8080/scm/git/taps/info/refs not found: did you
run git up
date-server-info on the server?

Using git version 1.7.6.msysgit.0 on both client and server.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2011, 8:31:52 AM7/13/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
What is the name of your repository taps or taps.git?

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 9:00:54 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 13, 1:31 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the name of your repository taps or taps.git?

Remote (scm-manager) repository is taps.git.

Local (PC) repository is git_taps.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2011, 9:12:20 AM7/13/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but i can't reproduce your error.
Which version of SCM-Manager do you use? Are you using the scm-server
or the war bundle? Have you exceptions in the log of the scm-manager?

Are you trying to push a large changeset ( > 50M)? Could you please
increase the http.postBuffer
(http://itewbm.tistory.com/entry/Git-fatal-write-error-Broken-pipe)?

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 10:17:32 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 13, 2:12 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry but i can't reproduce your error.
> Which version of SCM-Manager do you use? Are you using the scm-server
> or the war bundle? Have you exceptions in the log of the scm-manager?

Running scm-server, I can't find any logs.

> Are you trying to push a large changeset ( > 50M)? Could you please
> increase the http.postBuffer
> (http://itewbm.tistory.com/entry/Git-fatal-write-error-Broken-pipe)?

The initial push is around 180Mb (guessing that from the size of a
bundle).

I've reset http.postBuffer to 200Mb and now it appears to 'hang' after
the "Total 13950 (delta 10264), reused 13414 (delta 9882)" line. On
the client PC,the git-http-remote.exe process is showing as using
around 180Mb of memory, but there is little/no CPU activity on any
process. There seems to be no activity on the server.

I thought that where the pack size exceeds the buffer, it should be
sent across as chunks?

--
Andy

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 10:19:58 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 13, 2:12 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry but i can't reproduce your error.
> Which version of SCM-Manager do you use?

Version 1.5, downloaded last night.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2011, 10:41:05 AM7/13/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Could you test the behavior with a small changeset, just to make sure
that it is up to the size of the request.

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 13, 2011, 11:07:37 AM7/13/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 13, 3:41 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you test the behavior with a small changeset, just to make sure
> that it is up to the size of the request.

I've pushed a small set of changes (250k) from my PC to a git
repository on the same scm-manager server without problems.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2011, 12:33:57 PM7/13/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll try to reproduce the error tomorrow morning.
The logs are located in the directory ".scm/logs" in the home
directory of the user who owns the scm-manager process.

Sebastian

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 14, 2011, 4:10:26 AM7/14/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Sorry but i'm not able to reproduce this issue.
I've tested with the following repositories and git default configuration:
- jenkins, 88M (https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins)
- scala, 312M (https://github.com/scala/scala)
- a test repository with a single changeset of 1.1G

The push for these repositories worked with out problems.
Could you please clone the Scala repository and push it to your scm-server?
Could you please post your git config (git config -l)?

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 14, 2011, 8:38:27 AM7/14/11
to scmmanager
Sebastian,

On Jul 14, 9:10 am, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry but i'm not able to reproduce this issue.
> I've tested with the following repositories and git default configuration:
> - jenkins, 88M (https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins)
> - scala, 312M (https://github.com/scala/scala)
> - a test repository with a single changeset of 1.1G
>
> The push for these repositories worked with out problems.
> Could you please clone the Scala repository and push it to your scm-server?

I don't seem to be able to clone from github:

E:\>git clone https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins.git
Cloning into jenkins...
error: Failed connect to github.com:443; No error while accessing
https://github
.com/jenkinsci/jenkins.git/info/refs

fatal: HTTP request failed

E:\>

Perhaps there is some 'magic' in our corporate firewall.

> Could you please post your git config (git config -l)?

E:\>git config -l
core.symlinks=false
core.autocrlf=true
color.diff=auto
color.status=auto
color.branch=auto
color.interactive=true
pack.packsizelimit=2g
help.format=html
http.sslcainfo=/bin/curl-ca-bundle.crt
sendemail.smtpserver=/bin/msmtp.exe
diff.astextplain.textconv=astextplain
rebase.autosquash=true
user.name=andrew.hardy
user.email=Andrew Hardy <Andrew...@XXX.com>
merge.tool=TortoiseMerge
core.autocrlf=true
mergetool.TortoiseMerge.path=c:/Program Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/
TortoiseMerge.exe
mergetool.TortoiseMerge.cmd="TortoiseMerge.exe" /base:"$BASE" /
mine:"$LOCAL" /th
eirs:"$REMOTE" /merged:"$MERGED"
diff.guitool=kdiff3
difftool.kdiff3.path=c:/Program Files/KDiff3/kdiff3.exe

There is nothing in the scm-manager log after the initial 'startup' of
the server.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 14, 2011, 8:45:40 AM7/14/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Could you create or clone a other big repository for testing?
Please replace the following line in the scm-server/conf/logging.xml
and post the output of the log:

Search:
<logger name="sonia.scm" level="INFO" />

Replace with:
<logger name="sonia.scm" level="TRACE" />

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 14, 2011, 10:10:01 AM7/14/11
to scmmanager
On Jul 14, 1:45 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

I suddenly got the following log message when I tried the same push
from my Ubuntu box (my local repository is on an external disk, so I
can access it from Windows and Ubuntu):

> Could you create or clone a other big repository for testing?

I'll have a go, but how should I get scm-manager to deal with it? I've
been using scm-manager to create the empty repository and then pushing
an existing one into it.

> Please replace the following line in the scm-server/conf/logging.xml
> and post the output of the log:

2011-07-14 14:14:33.072:WARN::Committed before 500 null

2011-07-14 14:14:33.072:WARN::/scm/git/taps.git/git-receive-pack

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Committed

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Response.resetBuffer(Response.java:
1047)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Response.sendError(Response.java:
259)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Response.sendError(Response.java:
361)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.ReceivePackServlet.doPost(ReceivePackServlet.java:
175)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
727)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
820)

at org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.UrlPipeline
$Chain.doFilter(UrlPipeline.java:261)

at org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.ReceivePackServlet
$Factory.doFilter(ReceivePackServlet.java:137)

at org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.UrlPipeline
$Chain.doFilter(UrlPipeline.java:259)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.RepositoryFilter.doFilter(RepositoryFilter.java:
147)

at org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.UrlPipeline
$Chain.doFilter(UrlPipeline.java:259)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.NoCacheFilter.doFilter(NoCacheFilter.java:
80)

at org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.UrlPipeline
$Chain.doFilter(UrlPipeline.java:259)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.UrlPipeline.service(UrlPipeline.java:
239)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.SuffixPipeline.service(SuffixPipeline.java:
101)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.glue.MetaServlet.service(MetaServlet.java:
154)

at sonia.scm.web.ScmGitServlet.service(ScmGitServlet.java:114)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
820)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.doService(ServletDefinition.java:
263)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.service(ServletDefinition.java:
178)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedServletPipeline.service(ManagedServletPipeline.java:
91)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:
62)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterDefinition.doFilter(FilterDefinition.java:
168)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:
58)

[...]

sonia.scm.web.filter.PermissionFilter.doFilter(PermissionFilter.java:
147)

at sonia.scm.web.filter.HttpFilter.doFilter(HttpFilter.java:
102)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterDefinition.doFilter(FilterDefinition.java:
163)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:
58)

at
sonia.scm.web.filter.BasicAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BasicAuthenticationFilter.java:
143)

[...]

at sonia.scm.filter.BaseUrlFilter.doFilter(BaseUrlFilter.java:
100)

at sonia.scm.web.filter.HttpFilter.doFilter(HttpFilter.java:
102)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterDefinition.doFilter(FilterDefinition.java:
163)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:
58)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedFilterPipeline.dispatch(ManagedFilterPipeline.java:
118)

at
com.google.inject.servlet.GuiceFilter.doFilter(GuiceFilter.java:113)

at
sonia.scm.boot.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:104)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler
$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1323)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:
476)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:
119)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:
517)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:
225)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:
937)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:
406)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:
183)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:
871)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:
117)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:
149)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:
110)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
589)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection
$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:1048)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:
596)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:214)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:
411)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
535)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint
$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:40)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool
$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:529)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Reran to produce a trace log, but this one didn't show the above
exception!

14:50:37.860 [main] INFO sonia.scm.boot.BootstrapFilter - fallback to
default classloader for GuiceFilter

14:52:11.597 [qtp1377187-15] WARN
sonia.scm.web.filter.BasicAuthenticationFilter - failed to read basic
auth credentials

14:52:11.957 [qtp1377187-21] DEBUG
sonia.scm.web.security.XmlAuthenticationHandler - user andrew.hardy
logged in successfully

14:52:11.957 [qtp1377187-21] DEBUG
sonia.scm.web.security.ChainAuthenticatonManager - authenticator
sonia.scm.web.security.XmlAuthenticationHandler ends with result,
user: andrew.hardy, state: SUCCESS

14:52:11.972 [qtp1377187-21] DEBUG
sonia.scm.web.security.BasicSecurityContext - user andrew.hardy is
member of gms, TAPSDevelopment

14:52:11.988 [qtp1377187-21] DEBUG sonia.scm.web.GitRepositoryResolver
- try to open git repository at e:\git\taps.git

14:52:33.364 [qtp1377187-15] DEBUG
sonia.scm.web.security.ChainAuthenticatonManager - authenticate
andrew.hardy via cache

14:52:33.364 [qtp1377187-15] DEBUG
sonia.scm.web.security.BasicSecurityContext - user andrew.hardy is
member of gms, TAPSDevelopment

14:52:33.364 [qtp1377187-15] DEBUG sonia.scm.web.GitRepositoryResolver
- try to open git repository at e:\git\taps.git

The production of error messages on the server side seems erratic -
usually I don't see a message corresponding to the failed push.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 14, 2011, 10:52:19 AM7/14/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The exception looks like a client abort exception. Could you test the
push from your ubuntu box with a very big http.postBuffer?

> I'll have a go, but how should I get scm-manager to deal with it? I've
> been using scm-manager to create the empty repository and then pushing
> an existing one into it.

Yes, just create a new repository on the scm-manager and push the
existing one to the new repository url.

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 15, 2011, 8:44:34 AM7/15/11
to scmmanager
Standard push of a copy of scala from Ubuntu to Windows Server, log
from SCM

13:35:36.254 [qtp8918249-18] DEBUG sonia.scm.web.GitRepositoryResolver
- try to open git repository at e:\git

test.git

2011-07-15 13:36:35.974:WARN:/scm:Internal error during receive-pack

org.eclipse.jgit.errors.UnpackException: Exception while parsing pack
stream

at
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.ReceivePack.service(ReceivePack.java:702)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.ReceivePack.receive(ReceivePack.java:600)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.http.server.ReceivePackServlet.doPost(ReceivePackServlet.java:
171)
610)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:214)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:
411)

at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
535)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint
$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:40)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool
$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:529)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by:

java.io.EOFException: Packfile is truncated.

at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser.fill(PackParser.java:
1079)

at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser.access
$000(PackParser.java:94)

at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser
$InflaterStream.read(PackParser.java:1597)

at java.io.InputStream.read(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser.whole(PackParser.java:
924)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser.indexOneObject(PackParser.java:
858)

at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PackParser.parse(PackParser.java:
467)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.storage.file.ObjectDirectoryPackParser.parse(ObjectDirectoryPackParser.java:
178)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.ReceivePack.receivePack(ReceivePack.java:
831)

at
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.ReceivePack.service(ReceivePack.java:664)

[...]

13:38:15.071 [qtp8918249-14] DEBUG
sonia.scm.api.rest.resources.AuthenticationResource - return state for
use

scmadmin

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 15, 2011, 8:59:31 AM7/15/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I will do some more tests over the weekend.

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 15, 2011, 10:00:23 AM7/15/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 15, 1:59 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I will do some more tests over the weekend.

I did one 'standard' push from Ubuntu, log file:

Andy

Jul 15, 2011, 10:23:38 AM7/15/11
to scmmanager

On Jul 15, 1:59 pm, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I will do some more tests over the weekend.

Did another push with the http.postBuffer 50000000.

Same error, but nothing in the log file following the 'try to open git
repository' message.

I then set http.postBuffer to 500000000 (500 mb), no error but also no
transfer. I believe that the buffer has a maximum of 524288000.

I pushed scala between my two Debian boxes at home: had one failure,
but many successful pushes.

As a general recap, when the client fails there seems to be a less
than 10% chance that anything will be reported in the scm-manager logs.

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 16, 2011, 6:23:08 AM7/16/11
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've done some more tests, but i can't reproduce this error. The
exception you posted is a client abort exception, you can hit ctrl+c
during the push and you can see the same exception. Perhaps it is a
network related problem?

Sebastian

Andy

Jul 18, 2011, 10:50:00 AM7/18/11
to scmmanager
Sebastian,

On Jul 16, 11:23 am, Sebastian Sdorra <s.sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've done some more tests, but i can't reproduce this error. The
> exception you posted is a client abort exception, you can hit ctrl+c
> during the push and you can see the same exception. Perhaps it is a
> network related problem?

I had our network guys look at this and they identified a 'flaky'
proxy server that wasn't coping with the workload.

Removed the proxy and all now works as expected!

Thanks for your help,

--
Andy