SCM-Manager Release 2.12.0

Eduard Heimbuch

Dec 18, 2020, 6:34:59 AM12/18/20
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hey SCM-Manager community,

we just released the last minor version of SCM-Manager for this year. We added some useful new features and fixed bugs you reported to us. As always check our blogpost for more details:

It's been quite a year for the SCM-Manager. We officially released SCM-Manager 2 and have been working relentlessly to improve SCM-Manager and the many plugins we published yet. We won't stop with this and already have big plans for the next year regarding SCM-Manager.

We love your feedback and greatly appreciate every single user and supporter of SCM-Manager.

We wish you a merry Christmas and a healthy new year.
Your SCM-Manager Team

BTW: If you didn't know yet, we also post SCM-Manager news on Twitter. Checkout our hashtag #scmmanager2

Will Senn

Dec 18, 2020, 10:54:37 AM12/18/20
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
On 12/18/20 5:34 AM, Eduard Heimbuch wrote:
Hey SCM-Manager community,

we just released the last minor version of SCM-Manager for this year. We added some useful new features and fixed bugs you reported to us. As always check our blogpost for more details:

It's been quite a year for the SCM-Manager. We officially released SCM-Manager 2 and have been working relentlessly to improve SCM-Manager and the many plugins we published yet. We won't stop with this and already have big plans for the next year regarding SCM-Manager.

We love your feedback and greatly appreciate every single user and supporter of SCM-Manager.

We wish you a merry Christmas and a healthy new year.
Your SCM-Manager Team

BTW: If you didn't know yet, we also post SCM-Manager news on Twitter. Checkout our hashtag #scmmanager2
Hi Eduard,

Thanks for the update and thanks to the entire SCM-Manager team for such outstanding work over the years. I rely on the product for my personal repos. If I were still doing corporate, I'd have it for my dev teams, as well :). I can't help but notice that y'all have been blazing through updates since the move to version 2... this has resulted in many new features that I appreciate. The rss feed has been awesome for helping me keep up. However, I was wondering if y'all had any plans to incorporate an auto-update feature (user select-able)? Y'alls track record of not breaking stuff (or providing quick and effective solutions when things do go wrong) is very good and I, personally, would feel comfortable with such a feature. If not auto-update, then maybe a, "An update is available, would you like to install it?", feature.

I'm on FreeBSD and every time y'all announce an update, I go through the same motions:
create a snapshot of the filesystem in ZFS
stop scmserver (an rc script)
download the unix tarball and unpack it in scm-manager/packages
copy it to /usr/local/scm-manager-whatever-version and symlink it to scm-manager
fixup the script to use /bin/sh (prolly not needed, but comforting)
do some linking of var stuff and whatnot
start the new service
tail the log
do a test commit
if everything is swell delete the snapshot and have coffee

These days, the entire process takes about 2-3 minutes (I follow a note/script) and is pretty safe (thanks to ZFS). It's not a big deal, but the update feature would at least keep human error at a minimum.

If doing the installation is an issue, then just a notice in scm-manager (even an icon and hover text) that an update is available would be helpful.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to y'all, as well.

Regards,

Will

Rene Pfeuffer

Jan 9, 2021, 3:53:28 PMJan 9
to scmmanager
Hey Will,

thank you so much for this great feedback and happy new year! An automated update process would be nice, but due to the many different packages (from windows to k8s) this is nearly impossible as far as I'm concerned.

Nonetheless, we have the notice for new versions when you go to "Administration". We thought that this is an information for administrators, not for "normal" users, so we put it there.

Keep up the feedback and the ideas :-)

René

Screenshot-20210109214941-1032x296.png

Stephanie Smith LMHC

Jan 9, 2021, 4:03:57 PMJan 9
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
This thread has given me initiative to look into the new programming gran and open entert in WNY- I hear it's free

Stephanie Smith

Stephanie Smith LMHC

Jan 9, 2021, 4:04:17 PMJan 9
to scmma...@googlegroups.com