Migrate from v1 to v2 and moving to a new server in one go

christia...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2021, 4:28:38 AM10/14/21
to scmmanager
We have an old server running SCM-Manager v1.6 that is being decommissioned. Setting up the new server, this will be the perfect opportunity to also upgrade SCM-Manager to the latest and greatest, something that I have been looking forward for a long time. I have read https://www.scm-manager.org/docs/2.24.x/en/migrate-scm-manager-from-v1/ but my question is: Do I have to install and run v1.6 on the new server first before migrating (really don’t want to do this), or is it enough to just copy over all data from the old server and then run v2 on the new server? IOW, what is the v2 migration assistant looking for exactly to offer and perform the migration?
Thanks,
Chris

Rene Pfeuffer

Oct 15, 2021, 3:23:26 AM10/15/21
to scmmanager
Hi Chris,

we changed the data structure in SCM-Manager v2, so the migration is a mandatory step. To start this migration, it is also necessary, that all previous data has been updated to version 1.60, because a 2.x cannot do this. So you have to update to 1.60 and start it once. Normally, this shouldn't make any problems. Only then you can pack up the old home folder and copy it to a server running 2.x (preferable the latest version, currently 2.24.0). The server will come up with the migration assistant.

When problems arise, please let us know.

Regards
René

christia...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2021, 3:44:21 AM10/15/21
to scmmanager
Hi René,

Thank you for your reply. The old server is running version 1.60 so the data is updated to this version already. Do I understand you correctly that I can do the following?
  1. Copy all data from the old server running version 1.60 (stopping it first) over to the new server (not running SCM-Manager)
  2. Installing SCM-Manager version 2.24.0 on the new server
  3. The SCM-Manager version 2.24.0 will come up with the migration assistant
This would indeed be perfect with no need to install either 2.24.0 on the old server or 1.60 on the new one, both I would imagine to be difficult or at least unnecessary work.

Cheers,
Chris

Rene Pfeuffer

Oct 15, 2021, 10:29:50 AM10/15/21
to scmmanager
Hi Chris,

this is exactly how it should work. Just make sure, that the data is writable on the new server for the user running SCM-Manager.

Have fun with 2.x :-)

Regards
René