"Use Author as from Address" option not working in email notifications

christia...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 7:21:44 AM10/28/21
to scmmanager
Just upgraded to SCM-Manager version 2.25.0 from 1.6 and noticed that this option is no longer working or rather it worked once after (for testing) I uninstalled the Notify plugin, then reinstalled it again. The first commit email properly had the author as From: address, but all subsequent emails now use "SCM-Manager System Account" as the sender.
All our repositories are configured with these three options checked:
  • Send to Repository Contact
  • Use Author as from Address
  • Email per Push
but no individual email addresses added.

Cheers,
Chris

christia...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 8:19:09 AM10/28/21
to scmmanager
I should probably add that the user doing this commit in an internally-managed user with the rights "global administrator" and "own all repositories".

Cheers,
Chris

Eduard Heimbuch

Oct 28, 2021, 8:48:55 AM10/28/21
to scmmanager
Hey Christian,

thanks for the report. We will have a look.

Regards, Eduard

Rene Pfeuffer

Nov 3, 2021, 4:45:39 AM11/3/21
to scmmanager
Hi Chris,

just now I've taken a look at this, and as far as I can see it all looks good to me. I stumbled upon one thing you write: You get "SCM-Manager System Account" as the sender. This is the display name of the default scmadmin user (and is used nowhere else). Without the option "Use Author as from Address", there should be no name at all as Sender besides the mail address. Is it possitble that somehow you push with the scmadmin user (maybe some saved credentials)? Mind that the notify plugin does not use the name from the commits, but from the user who pushes the changes.

Regards
René

christia...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 3:41:32 PM11/4/21
to scmmanager
Hi  René,

Thank you for looking into it but it is impossible that we use the scmadmin user for commits since it happens the same way for all commits from all users, not just myself. Our working directories use the old user credentials and we have only relocated them to the scm-manager v2.x url format.
The situation has slightly changed. I made a change to the /etc/hosts file on the server and after that all commits started using the correct name (of the scm user doing the commit) BUT still from the email address of the system account according to the Administration - Settings - Email - From field like before. So, right now we are getting all commit emails from the sender

whereas in SCM-Manager version 1.60 we always received emails from

Did you verify not only the name but also the actual email address used as the sender in the commit emails?

Cheers,
Chris

christia...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 4:07:53 PM11/4/21
to scmmanager
Just checked and in fact, the scmadmin user has a different email address that was never used as commit email from: address, it has always been the address of the system account as I described before.

Cheers,
Chris

Rene Pfeuffer

Nov 5, 2021, 3:44:20 AM11/5/21
to scmmanager
Hi Chris,

as far as I'm concerned SCM-Manager should not send E-Mails with Addresses of other users and would concider doing so a bad practice.

I hope you are fine with that (as this is the same behaviour as in 1.x).

If you have other issues with 2.x, just call us again :-)

Regards
René

christia...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2021, 11:46:54 AM11/5/21
to scmmanager
Hi René,

No, this is not acceptable for several reasons:

  1. The behaviour in version 1.60 and earlier was that the From: field contained the user name AND address. I have tens of thousands of archived commit emails to prove it and if you are interested can pm you a few. If you have an instance of version 1.60 running somewhere you can easily try this out yourself. Version 2.x doesn't seem to do this anymore which means it is a regression.
  2. The feature is called "Use Author as from Address" but it doesn't use the (email) address but only the user name. If this is the new behaviour and you call this regression not a bug but a "best practice" feature (Microsoft-style), it still doesn't match the actual feature description, it would have to be called "Use Author as from Name".
  3. I also take issue with the "best practice" statement and believe it's a cop-out. It is a feature that is disabled by default and the admin has to explicitly enable. You should trust the admins to know what they are doing and if they enable it to have good reasons to do so.
Cheers,
Chris

Eduard Heimbuch

Nov 5, 2021, 12:10:53 PM11/5/21
to scmmanager
Hey,

i think Chris is right here. I also would expect that the display name and the mail address would be used as "from" here. I just checked the code and it shouldn't be that difficult to change this behavior to work that way.

@René: Maybe we should discuss this matter in our team? If this really is a regression we should try to provide some solution for Chris. Or at least change the description for this feature...

Regards, Eduard

Rene Pfeuffer

Nov 5, 2021, 1:13:42 PM11/5/21
to scmmanager
Hi again,

sorry Chris, looks like I misunderstood you. We will talk about this, as Eduard suggested.

Regards
René