Clarification on dimensions

Divya Banesh

Jun 30, 2022, 12:55:39 PM6/30/22
to SciVis2022
A question I received:

A question about the data report came up. In the report it says there are 61 cells in the y direction with a variable spacing of approximately 1.5meters giving us 915 meters in the y dimension in total. This doesn't add up though, so we were wondering where the typo is. Are there actually 610 cells in the y dimension, or are the 61 cells actually approximately 15 meters big or is the total y height actually only 91.5meters? Hope the confusion can be understood.

Divya Banesh

Jun 30, 2022, 12:57:22 PM6/30/22
to SciVis2022
The y direction has dimension 500 (0 to 499). I think you're thinking of the z dimension which has 61 cells. The ground lies parallel to the x/y axis of the data.

Does this help?
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 10.56.24 AM.png

Lars Hagemann

Jul 1, 2022, 6:59:03 AM7/1/22
to SciVis2022
Yes, sorry. I meant the z-Dimension. Is it correct then, that every cell is around 15meters large instead of 1.5meters (as stated in the report)?

Kind regards,
Lars

Divya Banesh

Jul 11, 2022, 4:35:06 PM7/11/22
to SciVis2022
Hi Lars,

The z-dimension is variable resolution so it's smaller when it's closer to the ground (about 1.5 meters) and larger further into the sky (about 40 meters). If you pop the data into Paraview, extract a single column of data points and look at the difference in z values, you can see the difference between levels.

Hope this helps,
Divya