SciTE 5.3.2 issue/annoyance

seasoned_geek

Jan 6, 2023, 10:34:23 AM1/6/23
to scite-interest
All,

I'm on Manjaro Cinnamon with all updates. Rolling release by LTS kernel.

scite-issue-0001.png
This keeps popping up for files I've edited. There is absolutely nobody else in my office. Every time I change a bit of text in the editor then go look at other things and come back this has popped up.

I think the message is just bass-ackwards. I think it is really prompting me to save modified text on a timer and getting the wording wrong.

How can I turn this off?

For completeness
scite-bug-002.png

Neil Hodgson

Jan 6, 2023, 4:17:24 PM1/6/23
to scite-interest
seasoned_geek:

> This keeps popping up for files I've edited. There is absolutely nobody else in my office. Every time I change a bit of text in the editor then go look at other things and come back this has popped up.
>
> I think the message is just bass-ackwards. I think it is really prompting me to save modified text on a timer and getting the wording wrong.

SciTE is trying to save the file (perhaps because of "save.on.timer"). However, the modified time on the file is different to when it was last loaded or saved so you may have edited it in another application. In case that version is more important, it asks whether to save over that version. This is controlled with the "save.check.modified.time" property.

Neil

seasoned_geek

Jan 6, 2023, 4:33:01 PM1/6/23
to scite-interest
Thanks for the reply Neil.

I can honestly tell you I didn't edit it from any other machine or anywhere else on the machine I was working on. I've had the same user SciTE.properties file for many years. Just keep copying it around to different machines when spinning up for new project.

I have never seen this problem before.

I've had my Tnas for a couple of years now.

Not that it should matter, but I have four 4TB WD RED in mine. Set up for RAID 10.

This seems to only happen with files on that, only with this new version of Scite, and only from Manjaro. Well, Manjaro Cinnamon is also the only desktop with this version of Scite. Happening on both of these desktops. They are editing different files at different times though. Machines being used for different purposes/projects.

If I had to guess I would say whatever code is being used to check the time doesn't play well with network storage.

rhkr...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2023, 6:36:09 AM1/7/23
to scite-i...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, January 06, 2023 04:17:18 PM 'Neil Hodgson' via scite-interest
wrote:
> seasoned_geek:

> SciTE is trying to save the file (perhaps because of "save.on.timer").
> However, the modified time on the file is different to when it was last
> loaded or saved so you may have edited it in another application. In case
> that version is more important, it asks whether to save over that version.
> This is controlled with the "save.check.modified.time" property.

I wonder what OS seasoned_geek is using. ISTR one (or more) versions of
Windows that could only store the (modified) time of a file to a limited
precision (perhaps it was 2 seconds).

If an OS is doing this (or something similar) it could contribute to the
problem.

--
rhk

(sig revised 20221206)

If you reply: snip, snip, and snip again; leave attributions; avoid HTML;
avoid top posting; and keep it "on list". (Oxford comma (and semi-colon)
included at no charge.) If you revise the topic, change the Subject: line.
If you change the topic, start a new thread.

Writing is often meant for others to read and understand (legal documents
excepted?) -- make it easier for your reader by various means, including
liberal use of whitespace (short paragraphs, separated by whitespace / blank
lines) and minimal use of (obscure?) jargon, abbreviations, acronyms, and
references.

If someone has already responded to a question, decide whether any response
you add will be helpful or not ...

A picture is worth a thousand words. A video (or "audio"): not so much --
divide by 10 for each minute of video (or audio) or create a transcript and
edit it to 10% of the original.

A speaker who uses ahhs, ums, or such may have a real physical or mental
disability, or may be showing disrespect for his listeners by not properly
preparing in advance and thinking before speaking. (Remember Cicero who did
not have enough time to write a short missive.) (That speaker might have been
"trained" to do this by being interrupted often if he pauses.)

A radio (or TV) station which broadcasts speakers with high pitched voices (or
very low pitched / gravelly voices) (which older people might not be able to
hear properly) disrespects its listeners. Likewise if it broadcasts
extraneous or disturbing sounds (like gunfire or crying), or broadcasts
speakers using their native language (with or without an overdubbed
translation).

A person who writes a sig this long probably has issues and disrespects (and
offends) a large number of readers. ;-)
'

seasoned_geek

Jan 7, 2023, 9:28:54 AM1/7/23
to scite-interest
I'm sorry, I thought Manjaro Cinnamon identified it well enough. Here.

manjaro-info.png

Cinnamon is a community edition. Find it in first row of community here.

Had same problem with official XFCE edition but XFCE is still buggy as *&)(*& all these years later.

As to your SIG, I'm an author, I pay editors to fix that stuff.