SciTE flatpak - published on flathub

Asif Ali Rizwaan

Jan 18, 2021, 9:35:22 PM1/18/21
to scite-interest
Hi,
I came across scite when I was trying to work with millions of lines of text (dictionary wordnet dsl) as gedit and others were not able to handle millions of lines. SciTE is powerful yet, settings, etc. feels like 90's editor. Configurations are stored in .ini file like SCITEGLOBAL etc. which is very nerdy. SciTE should modernize itself (by making changes in settings easy like other editors).

I like SciTE so much, and I use that as my main text editor. And I want it to be available for all distros, hence made flatpak and after weeks of fixing minor issues and fulfilling flathub dev's requirements got it published.

In the published flatpak, I chose some settings which I prefer. Please test once.

You can install Scite 4.4.6:

current flathub repo

my original flatpak repo

I'll be glad if you want to take over flathub maintenance of scite. or if you want I'll continue as maintainer.

thank you!

-Asif Ali Rizvan

Neil Hodgson

Jan 20, 2021, 4:37:16 PM1/20/21
to scite-interest
Asif Ali Rizwaan:

> SciTE is powerful yet, settings, etc. feels like 90's editor. Configurations are stored in .ini file like SCITEGLOBAL etc. which is very nerdy. SciTE should modernize itself (by making changes in settings easy like other editors).

Using text files for configuration is a fairly key part of SciTE. The hierarchy of text configuration files and use of variable definitions and conditionals allows for strong control over behaviour. Extending the configuration files may allow even more convenience and power so is more likely than switching to GUI configuration.

The Scintilla editing component used in SciTE is also used in other editors like Notepad++ and Geany which contain GUI configuration dialogs and may work better for you.

Neil