Feature request

Mike Ray

Dec 31, 2020, 8:48:23 AM12/31/20
to scite-i...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I would like to make a feature request.

As I am a blind user of SciTE, an excellent programming editor on
Windows, and now on Linux too, since the GTK accessibility improvements,
I would like an addition to the status bar.

Both the screen readers I use have hot keys for reading the status bar,
which tells me the line, character, whether I am in overlay or insert
mode, and what my line-endings are set to.

Is it possible to add to this the count of the number of characters
currently selected?

So, if I were to select some characters, say in a binary string of ones
and zeros, the status bar would tell me how many I have selected.

I can see this may be a problem if a whole file were selected and the
number is very large. My own preference is for situations where I only
have some characters on a single line selected.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/

Neil Hodgson

Dec 31, 2020, 3:44:40 PM12/31/20
to scite-interest
Mike Ray:

> Is it possible to add to this the count of the number of characters
> currently selected?

On GTK, the status bar contents are set with the statusbar.text.1 property and on Win32 by statusbar.text.1 .. statusbar.text.4 properties. Add $(SelLength) to statusbar.text.1 to show the selection length.

Neil

Mike Ray

Dec 31, 2020, 4:50:14 PM12/31/20
to scite-i...@googlegroups.com

That's great Neil. I had not looked at the config files. Silly me.

Good stuff.