Daru wrapper over apache arrow

Sameer Deshmukh

May 26, 2018, 3:37:03 AM5/26/18
to SciRuby Mailing List, Victor Shepelev
All:

The latest Apache Arrow includes bindings for Ruby. This is an ideal time to create a brand new daru extension called daru-arrow that will use the columnar database of arrow for lightning fast data analysis at minimum overhead.

I propose making a new extension that will monkey patch the Ruby daru library when a user does a `require “daru/arrow”`.

Thoughts?

Links : https://arrow.apache.org/
https://twitter.com/ktou/status/999830445062672384

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Prasun Anand

May 26, 2018, 4:33:45 AM5/26/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
This would be super cool :) .

Prasun

Rohit Ner

Jun 6, 2018, 1:02:29 PM6/6/18
to SciRuby Development
Hey Sameer,

Thanks for the news. We can add a wrapper for the same in Daru::Accessors module. WDYT? I am ready to take this up.

Best
Rohit

Kenta Murata

Jun 6, 2018, 10:41:44 PM6/6/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
Apache Arrow doesn’t have any data-frame operations, currently.
It’s just a in-memory columnar storage library.

When you try to make daru to support Apache Arrow, there are two options:

(1) Write Apache Arrow storage wrapper, and implement operations in daru side
(2) Contribute to Apache Arrow so that it has data-frame operations that can be used in production, and then make daru as a wrapper over Apache Arrow

I asked @ktou, Apache Arrow PMC and Red Data Tools organizer, about the above, and he said that only (2) is recommenadble and (1) is worst.  If daru team will contribute to Apache Arrow, people may rethink Rubyists' attitude to data science.

My opinion is same as @ktou.

Regards,
Kenta Murata

Prasun Anand

Jun 7, 2018, 2:15:45 AM6/7/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
I agree with Kenta and @ktou.

Regards,
Prasun

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 12, 2018, 12:15:32 AM6/12/18
to SciRuby Development
Hmmmm works. Lets go with the second approach and get things straight one by one.