more scirate ideas

aram harrow

Jun 16, 2012, 12:08:13 PM6/16/12
to sci...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I was talking to Patrick about this. Let me write down the summary
of our discussion before I forget it.

I was enthusiastic about the feature to export a .bib file for all the
articles you've scited. He wasn't so much. He pointed out that
google scholar has an option to dothis. (You can have to click on the
little gear and go into 'settings' to turn this on.) He suggested
instead linking to google scholar. More generally, each paper should
have links to arxiv abstract, arxiv pdf, and google scholar. Also
each author should have links to "scite this author", "arxiv search
this author" and "google scholar this author".

Also he suggested smoe minor interface suggestions, like putting the
title first. I'm going to try this now, in a test of whether I
undersatnd the whole git/heroku interface.

More importantly, he said he uses it to manage his personal reading
list, and suggested that it better support this usage. So maybe at
the top of the landing page could be links to "my scites" and "my
recommendations."
"my scites" could go to ap age that people can use like a reading
list, with options to filter/sort by date/category/etc.

Also, it'd be nice to have different kinds of scites but w/o breaking
the current simplicity of the interface. One model for this is
amazon's wishlist functionality, i.e. you click on "add to wishlist"
(aka "scite") and then it pops up the list of your different types of
wishlist with options to move it to one of the ones you've created, or
create a new one.
In general, amazon wishlists are a good model for us, I think. amazon
has personal wishlists, as well as lists that people can create for
sharing, like "classic papers in quantum Shannon theory" or "the
Hastings-Kitaev works on condensed matter".

aram