Issue 48 in scion-lib: Scion doesn't recognize "-threaded" as a valid ghc-options argument

scio...@googlecode.com

Mar 8, 2011, 8:23:49 AM3/8/11
to scion-l...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 48 by matt.la...@gmail.com: Scion doesn't recognize "-threaded"
as a valid ghc-options argument
http://code.google.com/p/scion-lib/issues/detail?id=48

* What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Create a .cabal file with -threaded in the ghc-options line
2. Try to build the .cabal file
3. See error

* What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
I would expect it to build just like "cabal build" on the command line
builds.

* What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
I'm using scion-0.1.0.8 on Ubuntu 10.10

* Please provide any additional information below.
The error I see in eclipsefp's error console (I believe coming from Scion)
is:

Unrecognised flags:
["-threaded"]

scio...@googlecode.com

Mar 14, 2011, 3:04:20 PM3/14/11
to scion-l...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 48 by jpmores...@gmail.com: Scion doesn't
recognize "-threaded" as a valid ghc-options argument
http://code.google.com/p/scion-lib/issues/detail?id=48

At least in GHC 6.12, threaded is a static flag, not a dynamic one. Hence
scion is not able to set it once it has started a GHC session. Seeing that
the GHC doc states: "Static flags are more of a hack and are static for
more or less historical reasons. In the long run, most static flags should
eventually become dynamic flags", you can only hope that a newer version of
GHC will make this flag static. However, I see the docs in 7.0.2 still list
it as static. Maybe the issue needs to be raised to the GHC developers?

scio...@googlecode.com

Mar 14, 2011, 6:42:50 PM3/14/11
to scion-l...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 48 by nomin...@googlemail.com: Scion doesn't
recognize "-threaded" as a valid ghc-options argument
http://code.google.com/p/scion-lib/issues/detail?id=48

I have a branch of Scion that supports managing different sessions with
different static flags, so that should allow suport for -threaded. I'll
take a look at that after the ICFP deadlines (~2 weeks).