Upcoming 5.3.0

Neil Hodgson

Aug 23, 2022, 11:07:16 PM8/23/22
to Scintilla mailing list, scite-i...@googlegroups.com
New versions of Lexilla (5.1.9), Scintilla (5.3.0), and SciTE (5.3.0) will be released in a few days - likely 27th.

This release contains fixes and features for Lexilla, Scintilla, and SciTE.

Scintilla and SciTE get Change History to show where changes have been made in this editing session. Its a major feature so the version number goes up a little more. SciTE default is now to display margin marks for history but not in-text marks and Scintilla's default is to disable Change History.

Changes:

• SciTE
• Released 27 August 2022.
• Implement find.exclude property to avoid searching in some files.

• Lexilla 5.1.9
• Julia: Parse unicode forall and exists as identifiers #42314. Pull request #98.
• Julia: Parse apostrophe as char and not adjoint after exclamation. Issue #97, Pull request #98.
• Properties: Don't set header flag for empty section. Issue #96.

• Scintilla 5.3.0
• Added change history which can display document changes (modified, saved, ...) in the margin or in the text.
• Add SC_MARK_BAR marker and INDIC_POINT_TOP indicator. SC_MARK_BAR is an outlined and filled rectangle that takes the full height of the line and 1/3 of the margin width. To give a connected appearance, it displays even on wrapped lines and draws end caps on the first and last line. INDIC_POINT_TOP is the same as INDIC_POINT but draws at the top of the line instead of the bottom. INDIC_POINT and INDIC_POINTCHARACTER were tweaked to be 1 pixel taller and 2 pixels wider in two-phase draw mode to be clearer. The translucency of INDIC_COMPOSITIONTHICK can be changed with SCI_INDICSETOUTLINEALPHA.
• Improve drawing of rounded rectangles on Direct2D.
• Line state optimized to avoid excess allocations by always allocating for every line. This makes SCI_GETMAXLINESTATE less useful although it can still distinguish cases where line state was never set for any lines. Feature #1441.
• Add SC_FOLDACTION_CONTRACT_EVERY_LEVEL option to contract every level for SCI_FOLDALL. Bug #2340.
• Enable multiline regex for gcc and clang when REGEX_MULTILINE defined. This requires gcc 11.3 or clang 14. Bug #2338.
• Stop including STYLE_CALLTIP when calculating line height. Allows a large font to be used for calltips without affecting text display. Bug #2341.
• Fix incorrect display of selection when printing in some modes. Bug #2335.
• Fix crash on Qt when showing autocompletion and the caret isn't on a screen. Move autocompletion onto screen when above it.

The committed changes can be examined either in the repositories
git clone https://github.com/ScintillaOrg/lexilla
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/scintilla/code scintilla
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/scintilla/scite
or from
https://www.scintilla.org/scite.zip Source
https://www.scintilla.org/wscite.zip Windows executable (64-bit)

Neil

Greg Smith

Aug 25, 2022, 10:20:54 AM8/25/22
to scintilla-interest
Hi Neil,
As ever, many thanks for great work. Just tried out the 5.3 and enabled Change History. I am running with a 2K display and the small triangles to mark inline changes are very small... are they being scaled to the font size or drawn at a particular size? I have set
SetTechnology(SC_TECHNOLOGY_DIRECTWRITEDC);
if this makes a difference.
Also, the doc for  SC_CHANGE_HISTORY_INDICATORS  should say "in the text", not "in the margin".
Greg

ChangeHistory.png

Neil Hodgson

Aug 25, 2022, 7:29:59 PM8/25/22
to Scintilla mailing list
Greg Smith:

> As ever, many thanks for great work. Just tried out the 5.3 and enabled Change History. I am running with a 2K display and the small triangles to mark inline changes are very small... are they being scaled to the font size or drawn at a particular size?

There are multiple constraints but the determining one here is a fixed maximum height that is not scaled. That may have been because of the opposite problem: scaling for small text made indicators insufficiently visible.

It would be too likely to cause failures in other circumstances to try to fix this before 5.3.0.

> Also, the doc for SC_CHANGE_HISTORY_INDICATORS should say "in the text", not "in the margin".

Thanks, fixed.

Neil

Neil Hodgson

Aug 29, 2022, 7:37:26 AM8/29/22
to scintilla-interest
reggthims:

I am running with a 2K display and the small triangles to mark inline changes are very small... are they being scaled to the font size or drawn at a particular size?

   Attached is a patch that extends the indicator area to the line bottom when there is room. The produces
   It might be OK to add another pixel to the triangle size at the risk of some more overlapping. The above image is a bit of a best case with only the 5th line's point touching text.

   Neil

ScaledIndicator.patch

Neil Hodgson

Sep 24, 2022, 10:19:11 PM9/24/22
to Scintilla mailing list
Me:

> Attached is a patch that extends the indicator area to the line bottom when there is room. The produces
> https://www.scintilla.org/ScalePointIndicator.png
> It might be OK to add another pixel to the triangle size at the risk of some more overlapping. The above image is a bit of a best case with only the 5th line's point touching text.

Point indicators enlarged with
https://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/code/ci/7bd24ff5fd7e4a4399e4f2a4907678d9119d0e54/

Neil