timmy-whinge origin

AShelly

Jun 15, 2011, 4:08:33 PM6/15/11
to scintilla-interest
The following question was recently asked on Stack Overflow:

"The SciTE text editor has an option in its configuration files called
"tab.timmy.whinge.level".

What's the story behind this name? ... So who exactly is Timmy, and
what is he whining about? There's got to be a story there."

<http://stackoverflow.com/q/6214719/10396>

Does anyone here have the full story? (Neil?)

Thanks,
-Adam

Neil Hodgson

Jun 15, 2011, 8:00:26 PM6/15/11
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
AShelly:

> "The SciTE text editor has an option in its configuration files called
> "tab.timmy.whinge.level".
>
> What's the story behind this name?  ...  So who exactly is Timmy, and
> what is he whining about? There's got to be a story there."

I shouldn't have named a feature after a real person.

The standard Python module for checking indentation is
'lib/tabnanny.py' which was implemented by Tim Peters.

Neil