Qt 6 Support

dail8859

Aug 12, 2021, 4:24:08 PM8/12/21
to scintilla-interest
I'm looking to update my project from Qt 5.15 to Qt 6+ and tried compiling Scintilla. My initial investigation seems to indicate that there wouldn't be any missing functionality when moving to Qt 6 but the code would need to utilize some different classes/methods.

I'm willing to put in some effort to get Qt 6 working but before I started I guess I wanted to ask some basic questions such as making sure Qt 6 support would be desirable for Scintilla or if anyone else has looked into this?

Assuming a patch (or patches) would be accepted...what kind of backwards compatibility is needed? Nothing prior to Qt 5.12 is currently 'supported' by Qt...but that doesn't mean users aren't still on an older version.

Thanks,
Justin

Neil Hodgson

Aug 16, 2021, 6:44:45 PM8/16/21
to Scintilla mailing list
Justin:

> I'm willing to put in some effort to get Qt 6 working but before I started I guess I wanted to ask some basic questions such as making sure Qt 6 support would be desirable for Scintilla or if anyone else has looked into this?
>
> Assuming a patch (or patches) would be accepted...what kind of backwards compatibility is needed? Nothing prior to Qt 5.12 is currently 'supported' by Qt...but that doesn't mean users aren't still on an older version.

Qt 6 support would be worth adding. Since no one has responded, its OK to drop Qt 4.x support.

Which particular 5.x release should be minimum? Just tried Qt 5.9.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and it failed to build but was easily fixed. My estimate would be that, since Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still maintained, its a reasonable goal to keep Qt working there but its up to the Qt users.
Fix for Ubuntu 18.04:
https://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/code/ci/0728babf9882bf64566446d71faf26870a25f7c2/

Neil

Joseph Mueller

Aug 16, 2021, 6:55:46 PM8/16/21
to scintilla-interest

We use QT 5.12.9 so we would prefer that you not drop support for this version yet.

Joe

seasoned_geek

Aug 16, 2021, 7:15:15 PM8/16/21
to scintilla-interest
There are quite a few places still using Qt 4.8 under Ubuntu 14 and 16 for medical device development.
Don't know if any of them are doing anything with Scintilla or just using the prepackaged editors in the distro.

dail8859

Aug 21, 2021, 4:27:16 PM8/21/21
to scintilla-interest
As a quick status update, I've made some progress getting Scintilla to compile against Qt 6. I tried to just make the minimal set of changes to get something working which means scattering #if blocks throughout the code...which would probably need refactored to clean up some of this mess. I"m sure I've introduced some bugs...most of the major changes to support Qt 6 are around text encoding/decoding...which is definitely not something I'm familiar enough with to feel comfortable.

If someone is interested in taking a look or helping out I can try to get something thrown up on Github