SCiMMA public talk Tuesday 10th May 3pm Eastern/noon Pacific: HERMES: A Messager Interface for MMA

Adam Brazier

May 6, 2022, 10:38:25 AM5/6/22
to scimma
Our next SCiMMA public talk will be presented by Andy Howell, Curtis McCully and Lindy Lindstrom of Las Cumbres Observatory, on Hermes, their new interface for Multi-Messenger Astronomy. This is a cool development, which integrated with SCiMMA's Hopskotch messaging system, and please feel welcome to forward to other parties who may have interest

HERMES: A Messager Interface for MMA

In the era of multi-messenger astronomy, every second is precious. For previous MMA events, the community communicated and coordinated follow-up with human readable text based messages that are not easily parsable by a machine. The delay introduced by this system will not scale to the future: our goal is to remove human interaction from the loop where possible as this is often the primary bottleneck to collect all of the data necessary to produce this ground-breaking science. To streamline this astronomical messaging workflow, we present HERMES, a user front-end interface to send messages via HOPSKOTCH. We have set up HERMES as a web service implementing some of the most common workflows like submitting a list of candidates in a LIGO/Virgo localization or submitting information about follow-up photometry and spectroscopy of candidates. Its GUI allows a user to submit messages to HOPSKOTCH without any setup on their end, and all of the GUI components are backed by an API, making it possible to automate any parts of the workflow as desired.  By implementing a set of some of the most common use cases for astronomical messaging, HERMES lays the foundation for a broader discussion with the larger community on message formats so that we can begin building systems that can automatically ingest messages and respond accordingly.

Zoom details:

https://psu.zoom.us/j/94926867289

Password: MMAtalk

Best regards

Adam Brazier (for SCiMMA)

Adam Brazier

May 10, 2022, 12:13:21 PM5/10/22
to scimma
Hi all

Hope to see you at 3pm Eastern/noon Pacific today for our public talk on HERMES, a nifty interface for time-domain astronomy/MMA messaging. Abstract and Zoom details below

Best regards

Adam
For SCiMMA

Title: HERMES: A Messager Interface for MMA

Abstract: In the era of multi-messenger astronomy, every second is precious. For previous MMA events, the community communicated and coordinated follow-up with human readable text based messages that are not easily parsable by a machine. The delay introduced by this system will not scale to the future: our goal is to remove human interaction from the loop where possible as this is often the primary bottleneck to collect all of the data necessary to produce this ground-breaking science. To streamline this astronomical messaging workflow, we present HERMES, a user front-end interface to send messages via HOPSKOTCH. We have set up HERMES as a web service implementing some of the most common workflows like submitting a list of candidates in a LIGO/Virgo localization or submitting information about follow-up photometry and spectroscopy of candidates. Its GUI allows a user to submit messages to HOPSKOTCH without any setup on their end, and all of the GUI components are backed by an API, making it possible to automate any parts of the workflow as desired.  By implementing a set of some of the most common use cases for astronomical messaging, HERMES lays the foundation for a broader discussion with the larger community on message formats so that we can begin building systems that can automatically ingest messages and respond accordingly.