Public SCiMMA talk 3pm Eastern, Tuesday 2nd February 2021 by Mario Juric on Science Platforms: Enabling Scalable Research in the Big-Dataset Era

Adam Brazier

Jan 26, 2021, 7:07:00 PM1/26/21
to scimma

Hi all

I hope you are having as good a New Year as possible given the current circumstances. We resume our public SCIMMA talks on Tuesday 2nd February at 3pm Eastern/noon Pacific, with a presentation by Mario Juric on "Science Platforms: Enabling Scalable Research in the Big-Dataset Era". Connection details are at the end of this message and the talk abstract is below:

Research in astronomy is undergoing a major paradigm shift, being transformed by the advent of large, automated, sky-surveys into a data-rich field where PB-sized spatio-temporal datasets are becoming common. At the same time, streaming is becoming commonplace (e.g., to transmit alerts and coordinate follow-up), as well as the need to combine and share the data and analyses. This presents a challenge to a typical astronomer: how can a domain scientist with little experience in data management or distributed computing take advantage of this data-rich environment? One solution to this problem are scalable, cloud-based, "science platforms" -- computing platforms combined with rich gateways exposing server-side code editing, management, execution and result visualization capabilities (usually through Jupyter).

In this talk, I'll discuss the desiderata for a successful science platform, research concepts, present work, and a few solutions we developed and deployed within DiRAC motivated by the need for ZTF data analysis. I'll also demonstrate some recent research on making science platforms fully scalable and cost-effective, with scaling and live migration for Jupyter notebooks. These developments promise to make arbitrarily-large datasets and streams -- residing in cloud-based data-lakes -- accessible to CI non-experts, easy to combine and collaboratively analyze. These systems have the potential to allow the science community to take the advantage of the next generation of experiments and datasets.

I hope to see you all next Tuesday!

The Zoom connection is

Password: MMAtalk

Cheers