SCiMMA public telecon Tuesday 14th September at 3pm Eastern: Hardware-accelerated Inference for Real-Time Gravitational-Wave Astronomy

Adam Brazier

Sep 11, 2021, 4:43:36 PM9/11/21
to scimma
Hi all

The first public SCiMMA telecon of the new academic year will be this Tuesday 14th September at 3pm Eastern/noon Pacific, and will be presented by Dylan Rankin of MIT. Talk details and connection information is below. Please feel free to share with others!

Hardware-accelerated Inference for Real-Time Gravitational-Wave Astronomy

The field of transient astronomy has seen a revolution with the first gravitational-wave detections and  the  arrival  of  multi-messenger  observations  they  enabled.   Transformed  by  the  first detection of binary black hole and binary neutron star mergers, computational demands in gravitational-wave astronomy are expected to grow by at least a factor of two over the next five years as the global network of kilometer-scale interferometers are brought to design sensitivity. With the increase in detector sensitivity, real-time delivery of gravitational-wave alerts will become increasingly important as an enabler of multi-messenger followup.  In this work, we report a novel implementation and deployment of deep learning inference for real-time gravitational-wave data denoising and astrophysical source identification.  This is accomplished  using  a  generic  Inference-as-a-Service  model  that  is  capable  of  adapting  to the future needs of gravitational-wave data analysis.  Our implementation allows seamless incorporation of hardware accelerators and also enables the use of commercial or private (dedicated) as-a-service computing.  Based on our results,  we propose a paradigm shift in low-latency and offline computing in gravitational-wave astronomy. Such a shift can address key challenges in peak-usage, scalability and reliability, and provide a data analysis platform particularly optimized for deep learning applications.   The achieved sub-millisecond scale latency will also be relevant for any machine learning-based real-time control systems that may  be  invoked  in  the  operation  of  near-future  and  next  generation  ground-based  laser interferometers, as well as the front-end collection, distribution and processing of data from such instruments.

Zoom details:

Best regards

Adam Brazier

Adam Brazier

Sep 14, 2021, 11:53:52 AM9/14/21
to scimma
3pm Eastern, noon Pacific:

Adam Brazier

Nov 5, 2021, 4:31:20 PM11/5/21
to scimma
Hi all

On Tuesday 9th November, we will have a talk from the  Astrophysical Multimessenger Observatory Network (AMON) at 3pm Eastern, noon Pacific. Title, abstract and call-in details below (look forward to seeing you on Tuesday! Please distribute to anyone this may interest):

The Present & Future of the Astrophysical Multimessenger Observatory Network

We will discuss the present status and future plans for the Astrophysical Multimessenger Observatory Network (AMON). AMON aims to virtually connect the world's leading high-energy and multimessenger observatories so as to evoke the discovery of new multimessenger phenomena, exploit these phenomena as tools for fundamental physics and astrophysics, and explore archival datasets in search of multimessenger activity. A notable past success came after we commissioned, with IceCube, the first real-time alerts of likely-cosmic high-energy neutrinos: The tenth such alert (22 Sep 2017) led to identification of the flaring blazar TXS 0506+056 as the first known source of high-energy neutrinos and the first extragalactic source of cosmic rays. Present projects include triggering real-time preservation and analysis of data from NASA’s Swift satellite based on LIGO+Virgo gravitational wave alerts and distributing low-latency multimessenger alerts based on joint analyses of gamma-ray and high-energy neutrino data. Looking ahead, AMON aims to continue providing useful real-time analyses of a wide variety of high-energy and multimessenger data streams, while upgrading its systems to cloud-based and SCiMMA-standard cyberinfrastructure, and strengthening its ties with the theoretical and time domain astrophysics communities.

Zoom details:

Best regards

Adam Brazier (for SCiMMA)

Adam Brazier