Inclusive community statement

Stefan van der Walt

Aug 29, 2016, 8:47:50 PM8/29/16
to scikit-image
Dear contributors and users

You may know that I am not very fond of Codes of Conduct in general. I
think they are well intentioned, but they are also often aggressive, use
words more commonly associated with law enforcement, and may leave one
feeling a tad scared and unenthusiastic.

At the same time, I do think it is important to be inviting to newcomers
of all groups, and to make that clear on our website.

What would you say to a "Community Guidelines" or "How We Work
(together)" statement on the scikit-image front page?

Something along the lines of:

"We welcome each and every contributor to scikit-image. Our aim is
enthusiastic and productive collaboration, to build an excellent
software library, and to have a ton of fun doing it. We encourage one
another to be gentle in criticism of others' work, humble in
acknowledging our own mistakes, and generous in our praise.

If you ever feel like you are not being treated as well as you should,
please get in touch with one of the project leads. We are committed to
making this community a safe and welcome space."

Best regards
Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Aug 30, 2016, 4:42:42 PM8/30/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stéfan,

I also think that this document would be more appropriate than a generic
code of conduct. Maybe we could also add a link to
http://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/contribute.html so that people can
get started?

Best
Emma

Stefan van der Walt

Aug 31, 2016, 4:05:13 PM8/31/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016, at 13:42, Emmanuelle Gouillart wrote:
> I also think that this document would be more appropriate than a generic
> code of conduct. Maybe we could also add a link to
> http://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/contribute.html so that people can
> get started?

I've made an initial PR here:
https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image-web/pull/36