Re: JNI jars dependencies

Curtis Rueden

Jan 7, 2013, 12:51:06 PM1/7/13
to Maven Users List, Martin Gainty, Richard van der Hoff, SciJava
Hi all,

Some notes about this code:

1) The above URL is to an SVN repository that has since been migrated to Git. The current URL for the project is:

2) The SciJava native-lib-loader project is a fork [1] of Richard van der Hoff's mx-native-loader project, which is also available from its own Maven repository [2], and has several other forks floating around on GitHub, too. Since we forked (at version 1.7), the author has released a newer version (1.8), which we have not reconciled with the SciJava code.

Regards,
Curtis

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Stuart Maclean <stu...@apl.washington.edu> wrote:
Sorry Martin, I missed some of your points:

Hi from a newbie.MG>a newbie with extensive experience with maven and make files!

Ah yes, I meant new to mailing list ;) Essentially yes, that is it.  I did try contacting the original author, to no avail.  I can't recall now if I was able to get that artifact from a repo or had to install it manually.

of a poor man's AOL (from the nar plugin, which I ended up NOT using). MG>did'nt catch the reasons why you do'nt want to use nar..explain please

I didn't use NAR as I was worried it was unsupported,fragmented and overly optimistic on what it was trying to achieve.  I could live with the exec plugin firing make, I am happy in make myself.tion across many

platform Makefiles. MG>smart ..OS and compiler specific variables should be aggregated in OS and compiler specific profiles

Yes.  I cannot fathom why there is no easier way to run javah from Maven.  It certainly isn't 'native' the way gcc is 'native'.  It's a standard Java tool running on .class files.  OK, it produces C headers but that doesn't make it 'native'.  I may switch to the antrun-plugin for the javah step, since the native-maven-plugin looks a bit alpha itself, and I don't use it for any 'heavy lifting', I use make.

MG>app code?
MG>JNI ?MG>How is the app PATHed to native binaries?

See last post, you don't need any LD_LIBRARY_PATH nor -Djava.library.path.

I should qualify this by saying that in PRINCIPLE this should all work on Windows, I have NOT actually tested it, I have just tested Linux 32 and 64 bit.

Stuart