I: In ricordo di Riccardo Cattaneo-Vietti

1 view

Massimo Ponti

Mar 3, 2021, 7:46:44 AM3/3/21
to european-scient...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends and colleagues, unfortunately Riccardo Cattaneo-Vietti is no longer with us since Tuesday.

Carlo Cerrano writes to us, moved: It is difficult to think of areas of marine biology in Italy where there is no direct or indirect trace of his work. His curiosity made possible his contribution in numerous disciplinary fields. With his pragmatic and never predictable approach he has inspired many generations of marine biologists and I am lucky enough to be among them. Scientific diving has been for him a constant thread that has marked most of his numerous publications as confirmed by his recent contribution (Cattaneo-Vietti R, Mojetta A., 2021. The essential role of diving in Marine Biology. Bulletin of Environmental and Life Sciences, 3: 1-44). The idea of ​​the Italian Association of Scientific Divers (AIOSS) was born following discussions that he often stimulated. He was not very fond of the spotlight, but his blend of broad knowledge and sympathetic disillusionment always brought a unique light in any context you were in. A light that will always remain within those who knew it.

Thanks Riccardo.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Associazione Italiana Operatori Scientifici Subacquei - AIOSS

Presidente: Prof. Massimo Ponti

Vice-presidente: Prof. Carlo Cerrano

c/o Centro Interdipartimentale di Ricerca per le Scienze Ambientali in Ravenna, Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna

Via S. Alberto 163, 48123 Ravenna (Italy)

C.F.: 92072600395

e.mail: in...@aioss.info - postm...@aioss.info

sito web: http://www.aioss.info/

Informativa Privacy - Ai sensi del Regolamento Europeo 679/2016 GDPR si precisa che le informazioni contenute nella presente comunicazione e i relativi allegati sono di natura riservata e il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora la comunicazione Le fosse pervenuta per errore, La preghiamo di eliminarla senza copiarla e di non inoltrarla a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie.

Privacy Information - This message, for the Regulation (UE) 2016/679 GDPR, may contain confidential and/or privileged information (including attachments). If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you are not the named recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alessandro CAPRA

Mar 3, 2021, 7:57:01 AM3/3/21
to Massimo Ponti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com, Alessandro CAPRA
Dear Massimo,
a really bad news.
I knew him during scientific expeditions to Antarctica.
Among the other quality, i remember with pleasure his "sympathetic disillusionment" like Carlo Cerrano wrote.

 Heartfelt condolences this family.
Goodbye Riccardo

Alessandro

Prof. Alessandro Capra
Delegate for Internationalization
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy

Full Professor of Geomatics
Dept. of Engineering "Enzo Ferrari"
Via Vivarelli n.10 - Modena- ITALY
WWW.UNIMORE:IT

Dimitris Poursanidis

Mar 3, 2021, 8:05:24 AM3/3/21
to Massimo Ponti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com, Δροσος Κουτσουμπας
I meet Riccardo virtually, through his work "Atlas of the Mediterranean Nudibranchs".

It was the first touch to my soul, triggering me to work here in Greece on that topic and touch my Phd studies.

He was a gentle scientist and inspire lots of us -

May his memory be eternal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

".. If something has to be done, take the responsibility and do it.."
Interpreting Earth & Ocean and its elements using satellites, models & field data (...)

Dimitris Poursanidis, Ph.D.

Lorenzo

Mar 3, 2021, 8:12:19 AM3/3/21
to Dimitris Poursanidis, Massimo Ponti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com, Δροσος Κουτσουμπας
Riccardo inspired me for the study on Mediterranean red coral. It’s in consequence of the stories he used to tell me about his experiments with the artificial caves in Monaco and the decoration received by Prince on Monaco, that I decided to go on with the study on red coral. Years later I invited him to be part of my PhD committee.
Strange coincidence, just 2 days ago I received the news that a project presented to Prince of Monaco Foundation, based o the re-utilization of his artificial caves, will be most probably be funded…If at the end I will really have the funding, I will propose to name one of the caves in his memory.

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 14:46, Massimo Ponti <massim...@unibo.it> wrote:

Dear friends and colleagues, unfortunately Riccardo Cattaneo-Vietti is no longer with us since Tuesday.

<image003.jpg>

<image005.jpg>