Black corals e+ special issue

Giovanni Chimienti

May 29, 2020, 2:10:17 PM5/29/20
to european-scient...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I'm happy to share with you a new paper about a forest of Antipathella subpinnata at Tremiti Islands (Adriatic Sea). We had the chance to dive down to part of this habitat to carry out the sampling, and it was really impressive. File in attach.

I also take this opportunity to inform you that the Journal of Marine Science & Engineering is currently running a Special Issue entitled Benthic Species and Habitats. It is a fast-growing, multidisciplinary young journal already indexed in ‘Web of Science’, with an impact factor of 1.732 and fast time of publication. Check it out if you are interested in submitting a paper.

The contributions on this issue could also compete for one of the JMSE Best Paper Award 2021.

All the best,
Giovanni

Giovanni Chimienti, Ph.D.
Department of Biology, University of Bari
4, Via Orabona - 70125 - Bari - Italy
            +393287378939
Skype: g.chimienti

Guest Editor of the JMSE Special Issue: Benthic Species and Habitats

Documentario Il Tesoro Nascosto delle Isole Tremiti, English subtitles here
Chimienti et al. 2020.pdf

Haakon Hop

May 29, 2020, 2:59:15 PM5/29/20
to Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com

Dear Giovanni:

Congratulations with an interesting publication in the high-quality journal Scientific Reports, with scuba diving to 60 m!

This is in stark contrast to our new scientific dive regulations in Norway, where we only can dive scuba to 18 m, as exception.

All diving is now supposed to be surface-supplied diving, and all scientific divers need to take 4 weeks upgrade course for Class A certificate and dive leaders in addition need 2 weeks of dive leader course.

Hopefully, we can still dive for science after all that.

Enjoy diving!

Best regards

Haakon Hop, Norwegian Polar Institute

Martina Gaglioti

May 29, 2020, 3:23:51 PM5/29/20
to Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Giovanni

Martina Gaglioti

Il giorno 29 mag 2020, alle ore 20:10, Giovanni Chimienti <giovanni....@uniba.it> ha scritto:

<Chimienti et al. 2020.pdf>

João Pedro da Silva Ramos Barreiros

May 29, 2020, 5:35:06 PM5/29/20
to Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com
Bravissimo Giovanni

Grazie.

Saluti,

JP

Subject: [ESD-List] Black corals e+ special issue

Carlo Nike Bianchi

May 30, 2020, 8:48:07 AM5/30/20
to Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Giovanni.

Nike

At 20:09 29/05/2020, Giovanni Chimienti wrote:
Dear all,
I'm happy to share with you a new paper about a forest of Antipathella subpinnata at Tremiti Islands (Adriatic Sea). We had the chance to dive down to part of this habitat to carry out the sampling, and it was really impressive. File in attach.
I also take this opportunity to inform you that the Journal of Marine Science & Engineering is currently running a Special Issue entitled Benthic Species and Habitats. It is a fast-growing, multidisciplinary young journal already indexed in ‘Web of Science’, with an impact factor of 1.732 and fast time of publication. Check it out if you are interested in submitting a paper.Â
The contributions on this issue could also compete for one of the JMSE Best Paper Award 2021.
All the best,
Giovanni
Giovanni Chimienti, Ph.D.
Department of Biology, University of BariÂ
4, Via Orabona - 70125 - Bari - Italy
Phone: +390805443330
            +393287378939

Skype: g.chimienti
National Geographic Explorer
Guest Editor of the JMSE Special Issue: Benthic Species and Habitats
Documentario Il Tesoro Nascosto delle Isole Tremiti, English subtitles here

Prof Carlo Nike BIANCHI
DiSTAV
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, dell'Ambiente e della Vita
Università di Genova
Corso Europa 26
I-16132 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 353 8063
Fax: +39 010 353 8140
E-mail <carlo.nik...@unige.it>

Google Scholar citations profile: https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=KmL0J4AAAAAJ&hl=fr&oi=ao
Research Gate publications: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carlo_Bianchi/
ORCID iD: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1071-3285
Top 1.5% scientists of the world: https://bit.ly/2Pr8L7y
Top Italian Scientists, Natural & Environmental Sciences: http://www.topitalianscientists.org/TIS_HTML/Top_Italian_Scientists_Natural_Environmental_Sciences.htm
Marine Ecology: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/14390485/homepage/editorialboard.html
Journal of the Marine Biological Association: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-marine-biological-association-of-the-united-kingdom/information/editorial-board
Marine Biodiversity Records: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/marine-biodiversity-records/information/editorial-board
Mediterranean Marine Science: https://ejournals.epublishing.ekt.gr/index.php/hcmr-med-mar-sc/about/displayMembership/113
Public Library of Science One: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/static/editorial-board
Diversity: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/diversity/sectioneditors/marine_diversity

International School for Scientific Diving: http://www.issdonlus.it/
International Academy of Underwater Sciences and Techniques: http://www.underwateracademy.org/
Atlante delle fanerogame marine della Liguria: http://www.santateresa.enea.it/wwwste/posidonia/fane/faneatlas.html
Catalogo immagini ambientali marine: http://www.santateresa.enea.it/wwwste/umi/umi.php
Stylocoeniella nikei: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/11250000409356566
Cirrophorus nikebianchii: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315417000935

GIULIA FURFARO

May 30, 2020, 9:25:52 AM5/30/20
to Carlo Nike Bianchi, Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com
Bravissimo Giovanni,
un grande lavoro!!
Continua cosi 🙂
Giulia

PhD Giulia Furfaro
Roma Tre University, Department of Science,

Viale Marconi 446, 00146, Rome, Italy

Jun 1, 2020, 2:20:18 AM6/1/20
to Haakon Hop, Giovanni Chimienti, european-scient...@googlegroups.com

Hi Haakon!

That’s a pity! Would there be any chance of joining the ESDS? We have no such limitations, any diving method is ok as long as you have a proper, certified training for it, and the operation is planned properly. Sci divers within ESDS do CCR dives to 100m (unit EC limitations).

Cheers, Juha

Jun 2, 2020, 4:58:16 AM6/2/20
to Flinkman Juha, european-scient...@googlegroups.com

Hi Juha:

Good to hear from you. Yes, we still dive with CCR below sea ice, but all scuba dives now have to be surface supplied dives.

With regard to Norwegian dive rules, we have tried everything other than court case. The Norwegian health and safety board wants scientific divers to become work-divers, and have reworked regulations for such work diving (down to snorkelling!).

They then do not recognize/accept any other diving background or organization, so we all need to take Class A (light work  diver) or Class B (heavy work diver) dive licences in order to continue diving for our respective institutions.

Needless to say, there are only few institutions (5) that can continue diving for science in Norway.

Best regards

Haakon

Manders, Martijn

Jun 2, 2020, 5:41:26 AM6/2/20
to Haakon Hop, Flinkman Juha, european-scient...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

Reading the conversation below, I just wanted to add some information about the Netherlands. Our situation is more or less the same as that in Norway. Basically it is that way since 1995 when our laws changed. The only exceptions are students. But work related diving (including maritime archaeologists, or biologists) need to oblige the health and safety rules and have a professional A and/or B licence like that in Norway (in the Netherlands these courses were not given for a very long time and people had to go to UK or Norway, now they are given in small quantities (long waiting) and not subsidized (very expensive). On top of that we have a logbook control each two years, need to have 30 (SSE) dives per two years and a practical dive exam each 4 years.  Of course this is all not free and actually very expansive. Easily one pays 2000 euro to maintain the dive licenses each year. One of the biggest issues now is that professionals cannot join up with avocationals. For example, dive groups that have discovered a wreck site are not allowed to join with professionals. Even underwater archaeological courses for sports divers cannot be given buy a professional. Indeed, this has become so expensive and complicated over the years that only a very few (read government mainly) can cover those costs.

Cheers, Martijn Manders

Jouni Leinikki

Jun 2, 2020, 8:52:30 AM6/2/20
to Manders, Martijn, Haakon Hop, Flinkman Juha, european-scient...@googlegroups.com
It is one of the main missions of ESDP to promote scientific diving and we should think of ways to help our colleagues in these countries.

Jouni