Projects Question

Kelly Riney

Feb 4, 2021, 1:03:42 PM2/4/21
to Science Olympiad Coaches
Good afternoon everyone,

We are going to be starting teams to begin competing next year however we have an opportunity to apply for a STEAM grant right now.  I thought that a project that would benefit all our students but particularly students that participate in Science Olympiad would be good to submit however I do not have any background in SO to know what projects are common and would benefit team members.

Any suggestions for projects to offer students would be appreciated.

Regards,
​Kelly Riney M. Ed.
Upson-Lee High School
* Instructional Coach *
x 3041

Confidentiality Notice.........

This email and any attached documents are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender by email reply and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

Stanford, Glen

Feb 4, 2021, 1:35:32 PM2/4/21
to Kelly Riney, Science Olympiad Coaches

Any of the build events make great team projects. I teach Engineering and I put two classes on the Boomilever last year.  Even the non-SO students loved it.

Gulf Coast High

Glen Stanford

Engineering TeacherGulf Coast High School

(239) 377-1400 |sta...@collierschools.com

7878 Shark Way| Naples, FL 34119

collierschools.com/gch

Feb 4, 2021, 1:43:06 PM2/4/21
to Stanford, Glen, Kelly Riney, Science Olympiad Coaches
Dear Kelly,

I agree with Glen that the engineering/technology projects are a good way to engage the students.  You may want to expand to some of the problem-solving events and even academic events, depending on your student's interests.
I have found that students have varied interests, and some do like the purely academic topics (Birds, Fossils, Disease Detective, Crime Busters).  Also, you can use Write It/Do It as a group activity with teams of two pairing up.  Of course, you will have to adapt it to COVID restrictions this year.  I used that in my Science Research class to show the kids the value of good communication.

Are you B or C Division?

Depending on your students age group, I could recommend specific projects.

Gary Vorwald
Paul J. Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad (retired)

Kelly Riney

Feb 4, 2021, 2:10:02 PM2/4/21
to Gary Vorwald, Stanford, Glen, Science Olympiad Coaches
I actually oversee the HS and MS, both will have teams for next year.  My question was in reference for High School level ideas.

Thank you to those who have offered ideas so far, they are helpful.

​Kelly Riney M. Ed.
Upson-Lee High School
* Instructional Coach *
x 3041

Feb 4, 2021, 4:26:37 PM2/4/21
to Gary Vorwald, Stanford, Glen, Kelly Riney, Science Olympiad Coaches
Go to sonic.org
Download the appropriate rules set; B is middle school & C is high school.
Look at the build events as possibilities to get multiple sets of students involved.
There are 6 B and 5 C build events to try. There are also several trial events that you could try. In addition to the build events, there are several trial events you can also look at.
Hope this helps!
Pam

Sent from my iPhone

Pam

Feb 4, 2021, 4:36:42 PM2/4/21
to Gary Vorwald, Stanford, Glen, Kelly Riney, Science Olympiad Coaches
Wright Stuff
Gravity Vehicle
Ping pong parachute
Boomilever